• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ghost in the machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
so i was trying out different installations with win 8.1. in a dual boot config along side win 7, then on a separate drive - once initialized as MBR and then again initialized as GPT. just experimenting and trying to get used to UEFI and GPT disks. Anyway, after each clean install i noticed all my settings and even search history was somehow saved. I couldn't understand how, but then realized that i used my microsoft account to sign in and it was probably saving my settings. which after some google searches i confirmed that is exactly what is happening.

sending data to microsoft or any mfr always makes me nervous and i usually try to opt out of any feature that requires this.

so what are most of you using? a local or a microsoft account to sign in?

Supposedly, per c6, when you install there is an option to use a regular login and not a ms acct. My suggestion? Reinstall and find it. I refuse to use 8. Waaaay too much bloat social media garbage. Plus metro is abhorrent.

There is no need for you to see or use metro or any of the bloat. Just use Classic Shell and you will never, ever see metro or social media apps.
But it's good that they are there for others who like them.

I also do not sign in, and like to control as much of the process as I can.
Having said that, I understand why others do it.

Interestingly, it is actually Google, not Microsoft, who is more (in)famous for collecting anything and everything about you.
As I said, I like to find ways to block them anywhere I can but I recently reinstalled an Android OS, and it's pretty incredible how every program and setting was reinstalled immediately upon fresh install, by virtue of Google automatically and by default storing what you install and how you install it... This can be very handy for people but I can't imagine giving up control and relying on Google's or MS's system to be up and working with 100% certainty... what if there's a crash... what if they replace a function you use and like in the "new and updated" version they force on you...

Definitely my pet peeve is their increased insistence on preventing you from downgrading software to a previous version, even of the new version is broken...

Unlike Google, I would say Microsoft is less stringent and even though they like to hide the ways to do it, it still is possible... so by far my favorite thing is to have an option of both, especially if I don't like the the other option, since you never know why might like it and why...

I use my Microsoft account because I like the convenience of my account syncing between systems, and be able to use OneDrive. :shrug:

That is absolutely right why signing in is useful. He keeps posting about this over and over again so habbajabba: For Windows 8.1:

FIRST:
* Physically disconnect Internet connection cables to avoid being prompted to setup unnecessary Microsoft Accounts and so that nothing interferes with custom setup.

• Personalize - Pick a color you like and give your PC a name – any name you want. You'll be able to personalize more later.

Enter computer name (it cannot be the same as your User name which you will be asked to enter later) > Next
[If you are connected to Internet, you will be asked if you want to turn sharing and connect to other devices here.]
• Customize > From the drop down menu, SELECT: Don't set up Windows Update (not recommended)
• Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices: OFF
• Automatically update my apps: OFF

• Help Protect your privacy and your PC:
Use SmartScreen online: OFF
Send a Do Not Track request to websites you visit in Internet Explorer: ON
> Next
• Check online for solutions: Set everything to OFF here.
• Help improve Microsoft products and services: Leave everything OFF here.
> Next
Settings
• Share info with Microsoft and other service apps: Set everything to OFF here.
> Next
[• If you are installing from another OS, you will be prompted to Set up Region and Language here.]
• Sign in to your PC: Enter only your User name. Leave all other fields blank > Finish.

At this point, if you did not disconnect your internet connection, look for this link at the bottom: Sign in without a Microsoft account then select Local Account.

Classic shell is the ticket for ease of use of Windows 8/8.1 on a non mobile device. Using the local account option is fine until you need to get something from the Microsoft store and then you have to supply account info. And you are right back where you didn't want to be when you chose Local.

.... Using the local account option is fine until you need to get something from the Microsoft store and then you have to supply account info. And you are right back where you didn't want to be when you chose Local.

seems these days they are going to get your info no matter how many precautions you take. so many holes in the dam you can't plug them all :)

This is no different than Google Playstore, you can't get anything unless you provide (any) Gmail account.
I think the point here is that so many people think that this is mandatory, it isn't, they did a good job "hiding" the option of not using email, but it is there.

Back