• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung to acquire AMD?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Galaxy S6 with non-changable battery and no SD card use anymore.
:cheers: to that RGone, one of the reasons why I went with my Galaxy S5 was because if I want more storage I plug a micro SD in and voila more storage.

Too Apple like so I won't buy the 'next new thing' and they can take the curved glass thing and wipe their hinnies with it. Glad I got the S5. Planned on keeping it much longer than the usual 2 year cycle.

Looks like it will be end for their PC CPUs, but perhaps the ATI name will rise again from the ashes like the Phoenix.

Last edited:
AMD already said they are moving to mobile and low power devices long time ago and won't focus on desktop, higher performance solutions ( what we see for last 3 years+ ). Their only interesting part is graphics card division. Actually it's the only thing which is keeping them on the market as CPUs were bringing only loses even before they acquired ATI. Then it was more management issue while now is bad product line.

AMD is thinking and developing ARM solutions lately. The same is most interesting for Samsung. What AMD can bring are APU ideas mixed with ARM. I just can't see anything else right now.
If Samsung is really thinking about acquiring AMD then they have good reasons. I doubt they would make anything stupid without long term planning.

Have to agree that the interest is probrably ARM and no real plans for doing much with desktops.

Samsung is smart enough that their reasons for thinking about acquiring AMD must have something of substance behind it for sure. However I do believe it's a possibility that they "Might" do something for desktops if given proper motivation such as when Nintendo was working alongside Sony on the famicon console as an example.
That went well.

After working on the project for sometime, Nintento suddenly dropped Sony from the project then took what was developed and ran with it leaving Sony holding the bag if you will BUT Sony wasn't going to let that one slide - The PSX console was born not long afterwards and has been around ever since with Nintendo's console sales sliding backwards in comparison as a result.

No, I seriously doubt these two would ever work on something together and we're not talking consoles here. I'm not really disputing whether they have an interest in desktops or not - Most likely they don't.
All I'm saying by the above example is it's not a good idea to motivate the competiton because you never know but what happened between those two is now a matter of fact, not speculation because it happened.

@RGone:
I've been using LG phones ever since I've had one period and all have been good so far.
Mind you all of mine have been "Dumb" phones and the next one I get will be one as well since I don't want or have a need for a phone that's smarter than me anyway.....

These have gotten wet several times, one literally got washed in the machine (Wife's phone and don't ask me how it happened - It just did and it wasn't me that did it either :screwy:) and another got dropped 30ft straight down on concrete - After setting the battery back in it still worked. That same one even got full of water later on when I had it in the saddlebag of my bike and some water had leaked in, literally submerging it during a ride home.

After upgrading to the one I'm using now, that one is still working well today as my alarm clock. :D

Thanks D.Mc. for the headsup on LG by your experience. Two of the younger set in my family have gone with the LG G3, so I have seen them at least in my hands. I wear my phone on belt clip and the LG G3 holster is way the heck cheaper than the one I have on my S4. Shett shett, I guess they knew they could get more on the Galaxy stuff.

RGone...

Back