• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung to acquire AMD?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoa...

Another early April fools? Lol

Hmm it's possible. If it's not true then they can claim it was a an april fool's joke or that it is just speculation. The arguments they present for samsung buying amd do sound logical though. But is Carrizo energy efficient enough for phones and tablets? I don't know enough about the Samsung/Nvidia feud that unfortunately. If it is true at least there is a chance now for AMD to have some money finally! Some successors to Vishera before the zen platform perhaps? Please?

I don't think it's ajoke and likely one of the best things that could happen to AMD and the enthusiast market in my opinion. Samsung has already been working with GloFo for over a year in the 14 nm process and this might shed some light on AMDs claim that their next BIG CPU was going to be 14nm.

I would love to see this happen, and also to put the "whammy" on nvida. That is the only way I see nvidia to quit with the nefarious junk they constantly pull

It can be the best what can happen to AMD. I doubt AMD will solve their internal problems by themselves especially that they couldn't make it in last 5-7 years and actually they made it worse. Simply we are all losing on AMD problems so it's about time that someone take care of it.

... I finally want to see 24+ core Kabini

i guess atleast it isnt kingston buying amd. badum ts

While I'm still sad they killed off the ATI brand and would be just as sad if Samsung kills off the AMD brand down the road - I wouldn't call myself an AMD/ATI fanboy but the first computer I could call mine was an Athlon XP 2400+ and an ATI 9200, so it's more of a nostalgia thing - this would be better than AMD folding.

I do not think Samsung has any interest in the desktop market.

This can only turn out bad IMO

That is why I did another search about Samsung buy out of AMD. I could see no interest by Samsung other than if they wanted to smack Intel a little but the article I linked seems that is not anything like what is in Samsung's mind.

RGone...

With Samsung's much larger reach it can only end one of two ways IMO, turns out extremely successful, or it ends up burying the hatchet for AMD microprocessors. But, this sounds more like the rumor mill than anything.

Yep
Mobile low power stuff is all they would Pursue

No one is foolish enough to insert the funding to actually compete with Intel
Would be considered company wide genocide

Last edited:
Since AMD hasn't really been competing very well with Intel for several years, I wouldn't think Intel will suddenly jack up their x86 processor prices if AMD leaves that market segment altogether.

My thinking is Samsung would not be interested in anything desktop related.

Have to agree for the most part - It's probrably NVidia that would have to worry if anyone.

Samsung's interest is probrably as stated BUT if Intel does somehting they don't like...... :confused:

AMD already said they are moving to mobile and low power devices long time ago and won't focus on desktop, higher performance solutions ( what we see for last 3 years+ ). Their only interesting part is graphics card division. Actually it's the only thing which is keeping them on the market as CPUs were bringing only loses even before they acquired ATI. Then it was more management issue while now is bad product line.

AMD is thinking and developing ARM solutions lately. The same is most interesting for Samsung. What AMD can bring are APU ideas mixed with ARM. I just can't see anything else right now.
If Samsung is really thinking about acquiring AMD then they have good reasons. I doubt they would make anything stupid without long term planning.

Well Samsung did one silly thing as far as I am concerned with the new Galaxy S6 with non-changable battery and no SD card use anymore. So they certainly are not immune to dissing the consumer in some ways.

My Next phone will be LG. But hey that is must ole me.

RGone...

Back