• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4690k temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alex338

Hey all,

I posted this in another section but no response so I thought I would post it here...

This is my current setup: 4690k at 45 * 100 = 4500 MHZ @ 1.18 VCore.

Prime95 26.6 small FFT's (30 mins) temps top out around 70
Intel Burn Test (30 mins) temps top out around 80
AIDA64 (30 mins) temps top out around 68

Keep in mind I have the fan profile set to "silent" (one of my requirements - I don't want to hear this thing ever). If I set it to manual full blast these readings are a couple of degrees lower.

But then there's Prime95 28.5 small FFT's... Where the temps jump to 85+ in a matter of seconds. I know this is due to some sort of AVX thing, blah blah blah, and it seems the general consensus is that this is not a valid benchmark. My question is: Will my CPU ever see this under normal circumstances? The computer is used for light gaming, internet, downloading, office work, etc. Should I just ignore this 1 extreme and base everything on the other stress tests I've done? I have RealTemp set to run minimized on startup, and I've never seen anything over 65 while gaming or doing anything else.

Thanks!

Yep, the latest version seems to raise temps by several degrees over previous versions.

It's still a valid stress test.

You will not see those temps, in either p95, while gaming, no. :)

(Deleted the dupe thread... thus one is in a more appropriate.section for an answer anyway! :))

Yep, the latest version seems to raise temps by several degrees over previous versions.

It's still a valid stress test.

You will not see those temps, in either p95, while gaming, no. :)

(Deleted the dupe thread... thus one is in a more appropriate.section for an answer anyway! :))

Thanks for the reply EarthDog, and for clearing away the other thread!

So in your opinion, based on P95 26.6, IBT and AIDA64, is my OC OK? I'm fine with the temps based on these benchmarks, but P95 28.5 worries me a little. I guess I'm worried that I'll be going along using my computer as usual, then all of a sudden one of these rare AVX things will get used and all of a sudden my CPU will jump to 90 degrees without me noticing. Will this happen ever? Or are those extreme temps only something that's simulated in P95, and will never actually happen day to day?

Thanks!

The temps you are seeing in the latest p95 you will never hit. You can see temps in older versions, however, but not playing games. More like with rendering using all cores type of.thing.

Since I don't do rendering, I think that answers my question. OC = safe. Thanks EarthDog!

Back