• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock options GIGABYTE X99 Champion and EVGA GTX 980 FTW's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrewZ

Registered
Am I the only one that hates the fact that EK limits motherboard and video card waterblock options? Considering X99 for Broadwell-E...but ASUS X99 boards mostly get very poor ratings from actual owners. I was considering GIGABYTE X99 Champion and EVGA GTX 980 FTW's until I went to look for waterblocks. Choices are G1 WiFi or Force for GIGABYTE, which again both get very poor reviews from actual owners. It's like some conspiracy to force EVGA Classy's and Rampage Extreme on us. I am considering doing at least the motherboard anyway, just out of spite! Maybe EVGA SC's now...grrrrr...ok ranting officially complete!

It's pointless outside of looks to water cool motherboards really. No performance gains, a lot of money, and generally restrictive in a loop.

If it gets hot, sure... Most don't... Not where most overclock anyway. Hell, I don't use more than stock cooling on the vrm for ln2 overclocking....for air/water it's not remotely needed, that is, unless you overclock amd amd fx fx octo cores heavily... Only then could I see a need.

That said, if you want it, you do!

Seperate loops for each block is a gigantic waste of money at best.

Picture shows that square thing is for the pch... It's not part of the loop. ;)

Last edited:
OK, so VRM for AMD/looks only...gotcha...are RAM waterblocks the same way? I know RAM doesn't get anywhere near as hot as it did many years ago. So I'm the only one aggravated cuz I'm an LCS noob?!
:facepalm:

Yep - WC RAM is also only for looks...!

About the only time you would need to WC your mobo or RAM is if there was absolutely no airflow over those components.

I would make sure to have a water cooling friendly case that has good air flow and have a CPU and GPU single loop only. Its that simple nowadays. Just have enough heat surface if you're going for a fairly quiet build as most do.

MOSFET?! I want to liquid cool the case too! Relax...sarcasm! On the EK GPU waterblocks it strikes me as odd that there is a 970 FTW but no 980 FTW. I just wanted to have the highest default OC possible before it gets splashed with liquid cooling and the 980 FTW is not much more. I realize that I can get better clocks manually anyway. It's just the cost of Classy to me is dumb! There are better ways to spend money...like a new NVMe SSD or Bitspower compression fittings...quick disconnects, etc. Are Phobya G-Changer 360/480 V2 radiators more restrictive than Alphacool UT60 or Coolgate G2? Being the LCS noob that I am, I have so many questions.

Back