• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid performance question - AMD A8-3870 vs AMD Phenom X4 9500 - Who wins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I got somewhat an ok deal on a ton of hardware for my wifes pc but I was wondering about the procs.

She is currently running an old AM2+ x4 9500 with 8GB of DDR2 and a 550ti

I was wondering because I am totally stupid when it comes to the FM1 and FM2 chips how much of a performance gain if any will she get going from that 9500 to the newer A8-3870?

Just wondering because my old thinking always thought a quad core is a quad core.....

Can anyone chime in on this and educate me to the world of FM1/FM2 & APU's because I am slightly ignorant to them.

Thanks in advance.

It's three generations newer, will use up to date CPU instructions and the original Phenoms were just dogs. So all around it'll be a win win. It's probably at a guess 50% faster at stock and fairly easy to get an OC from.

FM1 A8-3850 is based off Phenom II and made 32nm. FM2 A8 processor made on FX technology.

My A8-3850 @ 3.6ghz benches the same as a quad FX-4100/4300 @ 4ghz give or take maybe 100mhz. The FM2 quads will bench similar to FX quads at the same speeds.

Phenom II quad @ 4ghz is similar to FX quad at 4.8ghz or so.

Phenom I Agena based processors are garbage for any comparison to the above as already mentioned.

Purchase FM2 because it's new'ish. Best power efficiency for the processing power.

Back