• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MORPHEUS CORE EDITION Vga cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well I have this R9 290 and it's a fantastic card. My thanks to CD ;) Anyhows the thing is a freakin' heater. I mean idle it sits @ 50c, and when gaming it ramps to 88c and somethings 90c :eek: I hate the racket the stock blower makes when it's pushing out the heat. I mean it's LOUD!:bang head. Saw the Artic Accelero Extreme IV and liked it. Unfortunately I didn't like the price, and the open box was $60 and of course it'll be missing parts ( VRM/Ram sinks).

Looking around at my cooling options and this is what I come up with:

Plan- A: A full cover waterblock is a no brainer, but:
1) Cost of said block

2) My case only has a 360 and no more room unless
I go single 120's (bottom, rear)

3) Cost of a larger case to house better rads if I decide
to go with plan A

Of course money is an issue here.

Plan-B: Enter the MORPHEUS CORE EDITION Vga cooler linky .

1) Cost is about the same as the open box Artic Accelero Extreme IV, but it has everything minus the 120mm fans
of which I have many. I can slap on a pair of my 120's and I'll be golden.

I really want plan a, but I cannot justify the cost atm so I have to use what my pockets will allow. The Prolimatech MK-26 is great too, but I see a problem with it: It'll stick out too far outwards for my side panel so that's out.

Any Input as I'm about to pull the trigger.

Bah, I went ahead and just got it. Should arrive in a few days. I'm sure it'll perform alot better than the stock cooler.

That cooler with the Vrm heatsinks + a couple of 120mm fans should work just fine Nebulous. The only issue I see is how you're going to control the fans. The Accelero Xtreme Vga cooler is a great unit but I agree can be pricy. I have 2 Accelero III units I bought used and they dropped the temps on my cards around 20c and are nearly inaudible at 100% fan speed, but again at retail cost pricy. I'm interested in seeing how well the RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS does, so keep us informed. :D

Thx mandrake. I already have one sunbeam fan controller installed on my rig. I have another I can use for the Morpheus' fans :D I will indeed update this thread and keep you informed. Can't wait to get it.

now you know why you have that and I have a watch, tick, tock, tick, tock, my little bees so happy!!!

*Update*

Got this cooler today. Let me tell you it's huge! I would say about a tad slimmer than the MK-26 by Prolimatech. Took about 2 hours total time from removing stock cooler, cleaning, attaching sinks/fans and reinstalling it back into the case. With the fans it takes up 4 slots and a pain to maneuver into place.

Test results with Unigine

Stock cooler

Core = 51c idle /90+c load
VRM's= 1/2 68c/73c

Noise was horrible! :bang head

Morpheus Cooler paired with Arctic F12 Pro pwm's x2

Core= 32c idle 64/65c load
VRMs = 1/2 53c/56c

Whisper quiet :D

I iz a happy camper :clap:

Congrats Nebulous :D It's always nice to have hardware running cooler and quieter. O, how about some pics to show us your workmanship :clap:

Sry guyz, no pics of the actual operation, my bad! :bang head , but these:

I had to modify the fan clips so they work with the F12's. All in all I'm really happy with the Morpheus cooler. I'm gonna upgrade the case soon. Current case is starting to get cramped and long in the tooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_173827.jpg
    IMG_20150407_173827.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20150407_173941.jpg
    IMG_20150407_173941.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 143
sounds awesome, but doesn't look to be SLI/xfire friendly if it takes up 4 slots.

I Like it! Great Job, Excellent temps :D YEAH :clap:

Thx! Wish I had taken shots of the actual swap. I totally goofed :eek:

sounds awesome, but doesn't look to be SLI/xfire friendly if it takes up 4 slots.

Yeah I know. I wasn't going SLI/Xfire so it wasn't a big deal to me. This cooler is as bad as the MK-26 in that aspect. Not SLI/Xfire capable. The MK-26 is worse as it's a whole lot wider.

I think we all have seen a naked GPU, LOL So is it time to make a 3DMark 03 run and post it in the Marathon SIII:April, 3DMark03 thread? :D

I think we all have seen a naked GPU, LOL So is it time to make a 3DMark 03 run and post it in the Marathon SIII:April, 3DMark03 thread? :D

Just when I thought I was out for good, they always try and reel me back in! :rofl: Lemme have dinner and I'll make a run for it. I haven't benched in eons, but a 3DMark03 for old time's sake...why not ;)

I am so glad you can put it to use, the 290'a are awsome, but between the little bee raising all heck with the noise and the ear muff hair it just had to go!!!!!!
it started it's little life in puerto rico, nice, warm and sunny, now it's nebs office heater!!!!!!

Back