• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Verizon Fios modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

I'm about to move soon and where I'm going we'll be getting verizon Fios for internet (quantum 50/50, we're going internet only, no TV). On their site they say you must use their "quantum thing" or this one:
MI424WR Rev 1 from actiontec

I have my own router which I'd prefer to use and is likely much faster than thiers. I can of course piggyback my router via LAN over the actiontec, but is there a cheaper option? I don't need a modem/router combo, I have the router, so I'd just like a fast modem, but since it's fiber I'm not sure if the typical DOCSIS 3 or whatever would work.

Thanks,
Aaron

Attack I have FIOS with 50/50 speeds using the MI424WR router. I also have a trendnet router with DD-Wrt on it. I have tested both routers and do not see any difference between the Trendnet and the MI424WR as far as speeds and or range is concerned. I'm able to pick up my wireless signal in my back yard approximately 50 ft from the router without issue. My point is I don't think you'll need anything other then the supplied router from Verizon.

I'll give it a shot, worst case I'll just piggy back a better router.

A quick Q though, I can buy the MI424WR on ebay but verizon customer service is telling me I have to buy it from them. Is that marketing BS or will the technician seriously NOT install the service using my router purchased elsewhere? Anyone know?

Back