• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me figure out features of an expensive Logitech G700S Wireless Gaming Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While the included documentation might be sparse, I think Logitech makes the assumption that if you spend $150 on a mouse, you're already aware of the features it includes and what sets it apart from competitors. You probably could have just searched "G700S review" on YouTube and found dozens of videos where they explain the features to you with shoddy camera work and poor lighting. :)

I'd just like one of you guys to explain to me why that philosophy doesn't apply anywhere else?

When I spend x amount of dollars on a TV or x amount of dollars on a car or x amount of dollars on a phone... they ALL come with manuals that explain in detail what each of the features that "sets it apart from competitors" is and does... yet in the world of mice, you're magically supposed to know what Gear Shift is (for example) because the company makes the assumption that if you spend x amount of dollars on a mouse, then you already know what sets it apart from competitors...

You're telling people to go watch videos on youtube, really? Do a search for third party web pages explaining what mouse features are? Really!?

No other technical product in any other industry does this... They all have manuals, unless the features are straight forward and you best believe there are multiple features on this mouse that no one would know about if they didn't game...

Keyboards do that as well, I would bet motherboards do as well with their unique-named features in their BIOS settings.

You can't compare computer parts and peripherals to typical consumer electronics. They assume a certain level of knowledge where consumer electronics don't. This industry is not like any other, it's been this way for years and I don't see it changing in the near future.

If you have problems, call the manufacturer. They have support for a reason.

You guys, and in particular you, have helped me and so this is more about what would have happened if I did not have you...

I am very much in contact with Logitech support. They have given me a page that search engines did not hit and that is not mentioned at other search hits that I could find.
So even if people somehow did find that page, I asked them where on that page could someone find an answer to what some of the example features are.

So basically this is a computer forum, and it's ok for us to talk about this in our free time, and no one needs to be reading this thread if they have no time or if they have better things to do, but this forum is a place where we can talk about things like, "if someone woke up from a 5-year coma"... and they were given a Logitech Mouse as a present, and they open it up and it says GEAR SHIFT on that little piece of paper and they go "well back in my days in 2009 (or whatever) they didn't have these Gear Shifts (or whatever) I wonder what "these gears shifts" are..." where on that page they gave me
which is this by the way
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/10773

where could one find info on what the features are and actually do!?

That, to me, is a reasonable question. It's beyond reasonable. To watch some youtube video, which could be posted by some doofus, and to have to spend 30 minutes watching his review hoping to catch the answer, that is not reasonable. You have a product. You charge a hefty sum of money for it. List the features and what they do. Of course that should be a reasonable thing to ask.

I'm not sure how that page had to be sent to you...
You just go to the product page, click Support on the banner, and you're there...

There's two guides on the support page you linked. One about the mouse and one about the software.

ATMINSIDE,

Logitech officially acknowledged they do not have a pdf manual or an internet page explaining Gear Shift.
Continuing down the list and getting official confirmation that Logitech does not mention other features of their flagship products either would serve no purpose since I take it "so what?" is an acceptable answer to that nowadays.

To me, it's beyond incredible to have a multi-million dollar company with a multi-million dollar product rely on people like you on third-party forums to be explaining major product features to their customers. It's plain crazy... I wonder if we ever reviewed a Logitech product on the forums and who the contact person was?

I don't believe we have, I have a contact named Wendy that I'm working with for reviewing the g930 headset right now, but I believe there's a separate contact for peripherals.

If we have not, and if we have no contact other than Wendy, then I'm sure Wendy attends meetings where she can say "the press is asking why we neither ship nor post searchable pdf files that explain main features of our flagship products!?!"

I'm ready to accept that this is a 'stupid' question if you guys say so, but all this to me is a bizarro world that I don't understand.

Did a search for you...
http://www.overclockers.com/?s=logitech

It's pretty easy, especially on a mouse, to hit the button and see "oh that's what it does!".
They even talk about dual mode scrolling on the product page, so it's not exactly a surprise to find a button that changes the scroll mode.

You are projecting your intelligence and your experiences onto others. Vastly overestimating the intelligence of others in the process.
We used Gear Shift as a single example, of which there are many.
Do we need to go down the list until we hit one that is not "pretty easy" (in some individual person's opinion) to figure out?

I couldn't figure out what Gear Shift is or does, I couldn't figure out a few other features either.

It is not pretty easy for everyone because not everyone is as smart as everyone else, not everyone is as intuitive as everyone else, not everyone has the same experiences as everyone else.

Is there a committee that decides what is 'easy'?
Is there a minimum IQ level that is required to figure out by yourself each and every feature, incidentally not found on standard mice at all?

I am certainly, most certainly, not the only Logitech user in the world who couldn't figure out all the features by themselves. Are we all going to get told that Logitech is not for us?
Perhaps it's not unreasonable to have a searchable pdf file (or an equivalent) simply saying

Button 1 does X.
X is...

Logitech has multiple marketing people on their payroll. It is their job to make a list of product features to justify their salaries.

On my phone call with Logitech I mentioned your issue about lack of information about certain features. They pointed out their quick start guides and features guides should explain the vast majority of the features of their devices.

http://www.logitech.com/assets/33784/3/features-guide.pdf covers some of the features of the mouse.

Doesn't cover gear shift, but that's a feature that has been a part of their high-end mice for the better part of a decade (the first I saw it was on my old Logitech MX Revolution (which came out in 2007), just likely with a different name). Honestly, nothing is that difficult to figure out if you've ever purchased a gaming mouse before and install their software (variable DPI, etc). If you've never purchased a mouse with variable DPI it may take 2 minutes to figure out that higher dpi makes things more sensitive and vice versa.

:)

Not in the order of importance or anything but let's take Exhibit 2: Battery Check button.
You know they have an on screen battery info display when you're running low.
When they say 'Battery Check button' and don't say anything else, you kind of intuitively expect a screen like that. Instead they have lights on the side that symbolize battery level. None of this is mentioned in their little quick guide, and since there are only two or three lights, it's stretching it to just say "figure it out" or you need to have previously owned a gaming mouse, that's a pre-requisite for understanding major features (!)

Why don't you send them a link to this thread so they get their documentation right with the next generation.

Or.... do research before buying, like many other users, which includes watching/reading reviews.
These reviewers get free samples so that they can explain the features (and apply them to real life situations that a manufacturer wouldn't think of)

You're nitpicking about something that nobody else has a problem with.

Back