• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me figure out features of an expensive Logitech G700S Wireless Gaming Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargeable-wireless-gaming-mouse
This is the extent of instructions that come with this Logitech G700S mouse:

Mouse G700s.jpg

There is no manual that explains what these features actually do...

Specifically, pictured buttons 1 and 2, how do they affect battery usage, how do I know what setting they are on at any time?
What is supposed to happen when button 3 is pressed? Nothing happens when I press it.
What does button tilt mean? Is hyperfast scroll always on or does it have to be activated somehow?
What is Gear shift?

Is all this explained somewhere on their web site, is there a page that explains all this, because no documentation that came with it describes it, there's just a peace of paper that I posted above.

Install the software. Those buttons are all programmable and have no set function, except for the gearshift which is mechanical. The gearshift controls the "hyperfast" scrolling which allows the scroll wheel to freewheel. It should be obvious when you try it. The tilt means it supports horizontal scrolling if you press on the side of the scroll wheel.

If you press G11, it will cycle through the various onboard profiles which are all configurable from the logitech software. Eventually you should hit the default profile that will display the battery level when G3 is pressed (green leds will show on the side which correspond to the remaining charge). G1/G2 will adjust the DPI settings when this profile is selected and the current DPI level is displayed on the side using red leds.

Gear shift locks and unlocks the ratchet on the scroll wheel. Very handy to get to the top of a page quickly.
You can check an set up all the other options in the logitech profiler that you install.

*edit Ninja'd while typing.... :sn:

The Quick Start Guide tells you to go download the software to program a macro, did you do that?

Also, way to cut out one section of the guide and say that's all that comes with the mouse. It isn't all, there's a full two pages.

?? I am only talking about default options, anything cut out from my original picture in post#1 pertains to warranty etc. not operational aspects.

I do have Logitech Gaming Software installed and running.
Why is there no Logitech write-up on what these terms and features mean?

Battery check does not display anything under any profile, manually programming a battery check also yields nothing.

I am still unclear when to adjust DPI settings when using the mouse regularly and how different DPI settings affect battery life.

And P.S.
Also, way to cut out one section of the guide and say that's all that comes with the mouse. It isn't all, there's a full two pages.
:D Why did you word your post like that :D

Adjust dpi settings in games. Low dpi when sniping, higher dpi when precision isn't super necessary. I generally stick with 1600 100% of the time. The different settings shouldn't affect battery life in any noticeable manner, pick what feels comfortable.

Battery check button I imagine should either light up something on the mouse or maybe activate an overlay on your monitor

As you can see, the only relevant info in your link is the part I already posted, everything else is irrelevant non-operational stuff. they do not talk about what these features do anywhere... there is no manual other than what you linked to that comes with it. It's just strange for a $100 mouse that they wouldn't include a manual.

All right, so next to Default profile, I click on New Profile, and you can only create one if you assign a program to use it with... well what if I just want to create custom buttons for all programs?

And all right even if you assign a program to use the profile with, still the Battery Level feature does nothing.

This is what I see:
f5BrkxK.png

I see no options for only having a profile work with one program? Mine are all universal.

There isn't an explanation because you just set everything you want.
Features like tilt wheel, DPI, and polling rate are universal for all mice, so they don't necessitate an explanation.

I figured out that the discrepancy was caused by this switch:

LogitechAGD.png

So my specific question is can anyone get the Battery Level feature to do anything?

If someone said a keyboard needs a manual to say "if you press the keyboard key E then you will see the letter E on the screen" I would agree that such things do not "necessitate an explanation."

I respectfully disagree that that this mouse has features that are so universal that they require no explanation... They absolutely require explanation. There is no way I would know this this if Janus67 didn't post it:

Adjust dpi settings in games. Low dpi when sniping, higher dpi when precision isn't super necessary. I generally stick with 1600 100% of the time. The different settings shouldn't affect battery life in any noticeable manner, pick what feels comfortable.

And I've been using this mouse for a long time and most definitely did not notice or know that by pressing the button right under the scrolling wheel, you turn 'gearshift' ON/OFF.
The gearshift controls the "hyperfast" scrolling which allows the scroll wheel to freewheel.

I definitely disagree that this is so self-evident, it requires no explanation, other than to say Gear Shift. [period]

GEAR SHIFT!?! What in the world is a 'gear shift' on a mouse and how does a person justify their Logitech salary for just saying Gear Shift and expecting people to know what it is or does...

I already said this about battery level:
That said, it should just check the battery monitor on the side of the mouse.

Those three green lights on the left of the mouse, that's the battery level. If it gets low, they drop. If it's charging, they flash.

I respectfully disagree by saying that a tilt wheel, DPI, and polling rate are very universal and used by all mouse manufacturers.
It isn't a "feature" and doesn't necessitate explanation if it's something that almost every mouse on the market has.

A Google search for "mouse DPI" comes back with hundreds, if not thousands, of links explaining what DPI is.
Same for polling rate.

I agree, Gear Shift could use some explanation, but the scrolling part is explained on the main page for the mouse on Logitech's site!

First and foremost thank you for answering my question. I understand that Battery Level is *not* displayed on screen at all but only on the mouse itself.
I know that screen displays a low battery level warning so it may be logical that the screen would also display a battery level, just like it displays the battery level warning screen.

This and other mouse features should be talked about in more details than this, this again. is the FULL extent of the mouse's manual and it's not like there's a pdf version on the CD, (there isn't):

Mouse G700s.jpg

I understand your point is that customers should instead do research online.

Also, as I said before, I haven't used the battery much at all. But I tried using the battery check and nothing popped up on screen.

I'm just saying that the universal features are more of specifications, which are used to compare mice hardware instead of differentiate at a feature-based level.
Honestly, who actually uses the CD these days? I haven't had an ODD installed in over two years. All the newest drivers/info are online, so I check there first.

ATMINSIDE... in the old days, hardware costing three digits or more came with actual books, manuals that were actual books since they talked in detail about every product feature. This cost $ so they switched to pdf manuals which are to this day included on accompanying media, usually the CD that comes with the product. The latest version is also what I install... but to have a product retail packaging not ship without any drivers as you suggest... I don't know what to say to that.

There is life outside of a big city, there are places both in our country and beyond where life is very different from ours. Drivers should absolutely ship with retail packaging... And companies should include descriptions and explanations of their products, especially when they charge so much for them.

So back to what is NOT in the manual that is supposed to be self-explanatory then:

The Battery Level feature is just to tell you if you have one or two or three lights left, it is not some sort of a smart phone equivalent of 50% left or anything like that.

moving on, what is the difference between my screenshot above of Automatic Game Detection vs. On-Board memory (your setting apparently).

Where are config files stored on the Automatic Game Detection option? How much config space is there for the On-Board memory option? What are the actual differences between the two, the settings screens are different, can you say with 100% certainty that the only difference is where the config files are stored?

I have other legitimate questions about these so called self-explanatory features that require no explanation.

There's enough space On-Board to store 5 profiles.

I'm not sure about the difference, I've always used On-Board so that I can switch computers and keep my macros.
I know the main difference is where the files are stored.

What other questions do you have about the features?

LogitechAGD.png

The onboard appears to be universal whereas Automatic Game Detection appears to be game-specific... And besides being game-specific, it appears you can export-import settings from a file, which is excellent... so if you choose to save onboard, you cannot back those universal settings up? Whereas Game Specific option allows for backup... If I am correct in what I just said, which in its entirety is speculation, that doesn't make much sense does it?

The picture says 8. Battery, dpi, and profile display... wut? How are "dpi" and "profile" displayed on the mouse itself?

I can import/export my profiles by hovering over the profile, then clicking the little arrow that pops up on the right. This is while using the On-Board mode.

If you change DPI or profile, it shows up a certain set of lights on the three side LEDs.

Yup yup yup... Thanks for that.

The export/import thing is important, I will check out the DPI display differences. So what do you have your DPI set for? Polling rate?
What does 'Previous Track' and 'Next Track' mean?

Since I'm not worried about battery life, since I only use wired, I use the polling rate as 1000Hz. DPI is at 3750.

The Track settings are for control of a music player.

Back