• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

renaming WORKGROUP default to something else = less likely to be connected to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blahcomp222

Registered
I don't want to share anything on my computer with the local network on the router. I have everything set to not sharing and everything but was wondering if I change WORKGROUP to something else, does that make it less likely another computer can connect or even see mine listed? They would have to know what I renamed WORKGROUP as? Or is it pointless?

Last edited:
It's pretty pointless. Shares would still be visible if they existed.

but they wouldn't see my PC 'name' if I changed my WORKGROUP to some other words or it would still show the new workgroup I create?

edit: answered at Tom's

The Workgroup just makes it "easier" to locate computers. If your comptuter responds to LanMan / SMB requests, it will be discovered whatever workgroup you put it on. If you want to go completely "invisible" for other Windows computers - disable "FIle and Print sharing for Microsoft Networkd" in network adapter' properties

Back