• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8370 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only thing going on my ssd is my operating system

I would recommend getting a bigger one. I also would not get that hard drive cooler as I stated. Total waste of money. I also heartily recommend you buy those parts and build it yourself. For multiple reasons. You basically only need a Phillips head screwdriver to build a pc. You would save a good amount of money. You would learn a real lot. I would just go on Youtube and look at a few videos of building a pc. One other thing. I like AMD stuff. But if your budget is $1800 I really would consider an Intel build strongly.

Last edited:
My budget is about roughly 1800 but im getting my pc through cyberpowerpc cause i've never build a custom pc
I have purchased Pc's from cyberpower in the past and have had no issues with them. That said I would recommend you building it yourself. It isn't rocket science and you're already on this forum where we will help you build it exactly how you need. You will also save a lot of money doing it yourself. In the end you will have something you put together yourself and will also know how to fix if something goes wrong.

One other thing. I like AMD stuff. But if your budget is $1800 I really would consider an Intel build strongly.
I also agree with chrisjames, for $1800.00 you can get an I7 4790k and as much as I like my Fx system, the I7 would be a smarter buy.

As much as I love AMD that is a sick system for a decent price. Much better than what he is looking at on the AMD side. In fact the AMD components he picked out I would radically restructure.
I totally agree CJ unfortunately AMD has left us to flounder without any possible upgrades in the future.

I totally agree CJ unfortunately AMD has left us to flounder without any possible upgrades in the future.

I hate to hijack this thread but I hope ZEN or whatever its called delivers. I am optimistic. I bet all the big OEM's would love an alternative to Intel. I think most enthusiasts would too. Odds are many guys who jumped to Intel who would love to get back on the AMD platform. I know enthusiasts are not a big percentage of computer users but they are a vocal lot and many typical home users listen to them.

Meh Intel is nice, but in the AMD section the AMD suggestions looked more appealing.

FX-8370 is a good chip. Get a little overclock, maybe 4.7ghz and 1.45v or so..... Very similar to a stock FX-9590. At stock 9590 should pass Prime95s no problem given the cooling is there. Either chip at similar speeds on average will be just as difficult to cool. The only difference is you KNOW for a fact the 9590 will be stable at 4.7ghz and won't need testing at these speeds. Turbo 5ghz is nice little 300mhz jump, leave your power savings and cool and quiet C6 core states enabled and the chip will actually run pretty cool. No reason to actually leave this one on full blast as it's quite capable stock.

Suggestion for 120.2 all in one will not cool a FX-9590 at 5ghz any better than a FX-8350 at 5ghz. You want to build a custom water loop with no less that 120.4 rads and up to 8 rad fans for some decent flow. Always cool VRM package area and enjoy.

My little FX-9590 runs great at stock. I've yet to experience thermal throttling as cooling is good. But keep in mind you won't be easily to cool a 1.5v 8 core AMD cpu.

And for the Intels, well you run into the same issues at 5ghz. Heat. you'll see many many threads on de-lids because of that. Not so much with AMD as they are soldered and not to AMDs benefit either. At least not for overclocking purposes.

For 5ghz chips, I would seriously consider AMD FX-4 core. The FX-9590 EASILY runs 5ghz as a quad because there's a little less wattage to remove. Don't get me wrong, the voltage requirements will still make the chip run warm, again the more Rad the better.

Game last night 5.1ghz FX-9590 4 cores disabled, Cinebench tested and even a quick P95 test just to ballpark load temps. Under 60 was a good figure. 1.5250v. Ram 1067 - 1200mhz np.

EDIT:

About thermal throttling. While trying a FX-9590 on air cooling, I did experience thermal throttling. But I gotta say it wasn't a big hinder on performance, just under load testing.
To add to the throttling of a FX-9590, the first P-state it dropped to is 4.5ghz, then 4.3ghz and then 4.0ghz or something along that line. I don't recall it going much further down because by then I had stopped the stressing. Now if I'm not mistaken that's a throttle down as far as a stock 8350. Are those good numbers?

Last edited:
I agree with you shrimpy, I love my Fx 8350 and I use it as my daily rig over my 4770k because I feel like it just runs smoother. That said I find it tough to recommend someone an AMD setup with a budget like $1800.00 when it's all but a dead platform. If the rig the OP wants is for gaming in most cases if one measures FPS the OP will likely get more with the Intel over the AMD. That said if one doesn't actually measure it, visually there is no difference. If I were to build another AMD setup it would look something like this. I will also say for gaming at 1080p the GTX 980 in most cases is overkill but I'm going off what the OP was considering spending.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jvxNjX
Capture4.PNG

That said I find it tough to recommend someone an AMD setup with a budget like $1800.00 when it's all but a dead platform.
Excuse me but, with every tick or tock, does that not all but leave a dead platform also?
Just sayin.........
That line of argument in now invalid.

Just so you know, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I do agree that with an $1800 budget, I would be going with a current gen Intel build. ;)
I know...you're always agreeable with me or else ;). Seriously though with a budget like $1800.00 it's hard not to recommend going with a I-7 and it pains me to say that. :shrug:

I tried Intel once or twice even. I mean for daily. It's alright. OK maybe.

AMD is just better. LOL. Take that how you wish, it's just little ol me here.

So here you would find a guy looking for an AMD setup. 1800$ Buy either Cpu but spend good moneys on liquid cooling for either. <--- Now should consult cooling section.

AMD setup. 1800$ Buy either Cpu but spend good moneys on liquid cooling for either. <--- Now should consult cooling section.

You got that right about cooling. Fact is if one wanted to learn "about" overclocking...AMD is the only way to go. So much more adjustable at bios level it is not funny. I had the okay to go X-99 about 7 weeks ago and did a TON of reading and the boards just are still not much more than set multiplier and some votlages and DONE. That is not fun to me. But remember that is ME.

RGone...

Haha that is WE at this point.

If you want a really intense OC challenge, the FX-9590 is every bit of that. Want to run low volts... But HAHA yea right!!

I think some times it gets difficult to overclock AMD. Once you start hitting that breaking point and want to do a refresh, you almost or should I rather say, write down every freekin one of them settings. Especially on high end boards.

I rather say, write down every freekin one of them settings. Especially on high end boards.

S_B man you are hitting on every cylinder. Compression must be no more than 2 or 3 PSI different between each cylinder right now.

Writing those clocked settings down is just about a 'gotta-do' thing. The few times I thought I was above the logical way of doing things and then got lost...I have even gotten so lost here as I get older that I had to swap boards out to make sure the board had not failed. Now that was about 2 years ago now but it did happen and is why I am AGAIN taking pics of bios or F12ing to FAT 32 Usb stick.

RGone...

you almost or should I rather say, write down every freekin one of them settings. Especially on high end boards.
A little birdy whispered in my ear a few years back about taking notes on my Ocing and it's probably the best advice I've received here.....I do not know how many times I've looked back at my notes and had an A HA! moment!

Back