• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] WC X99 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gentleman, I clearly agree that the Core X9 is NOT for everyone- tis a HUGE sucker.
Then again I just came from a MO-RA3-420 so perhaps that puts in perspective my comments about a lot of space for custom water cooling. For a 360-240 rad combo the Corsair 540 makes more sense and cents!:D

Jest aside, Why not put that gigantic res (I have the much smaller one) and mount it in the other chamber? Also, will the rad fit in front and mount the fans on the other side of the baffle?

I did look at placing it on the other side, but it won't fit there either. I would have to remove the 5.25 bays in order to fit it, so I passed on that option.

I will see if the rad will fit in the front. Do you mean mount the fans outside the case, and the rad on the inside? The pacific RL240 is one THICK rad, the sucker is 2.5" thick with no fans on it.

I also looked at the x9 after I started running into space constraints when I went with a different cooler setup than originally planned. I was thinking of using one for the next build. Not even through the first, and already thinking about the next one....

I will make this stuff fit!

John

John, I see you have joined the "dark side" of custom water coolers. I always poke fun at myself ( owning rads and rads) that custom wcers never have enough rad space and never buy a case big enough.:(

Seriously I'm sure you will figure it out. Have fun.

Actually had a few minutes to work on the computer again. I ended up ordering a slightly thinner radiator, so I could install on the top like originally planned. I started the plumbing, just one line left to run.

Started Plumbing.jpg

Just the return from the radiator to the reservoir. Of course I need to mod the res, in order to make sure the liquid level is high enough. My plan it to drill new holes in the clear plastic, so that I can rotate the top of the res 90 degrees so that the return tube is on the bottom. We shall see how this one goes.....

One quick question. I am assuming that these type of reservoirs can be run sealed, and there wont be issues with regards to expansion due to temperature of the air inside the res. Is this correct? I did some calcs, and showed minimal pressure increase. Never thought I would have to use the Ideal Gas Law to build a computer!

John

If that pump doesnt cavitate, ill be shocked honestly...

I actually looked into horizontal mounting prior to doing this, to make sure the unit could handle it, as there is a fair amount of head reduction in horizontal mounting. Would only be a problem if the loop were closer to the boiling point. If that happens, I am screwed anyways!

Taken from Thermaltake Website
Remarkable Expansion
A bracket at each endholds the Pacific PT40 w/Mod Kit firmly inside the chassis and allows enthusiasts to not only build up an aesthetically superior liquid cooling system but also incorporate externally-modular upgrades for their chassis. The series provides multiple sizes for users to build the ultimate in custom configurations, and for a truly extraordinary chassis, the reservoir can be installed horizontally.

I actually looked into horizontal mounting prior to doing this, to make sure the unit could handle it, as there is a fair amount of head reduction in horizontal mounting. Would only be a problem if the loop were closer to the boiling point. If that happens, I am screwed anyways!

Taken from Thermaltake Website

Thats awesome then. My apologies for assuming otherwise. I've seen people mount their stuff sideways and be like "my pump's making loud noises". Glad to hear it'll work like that, thats interesting.

Why would it?

NPSH, all pumps have it; even little tiny ones. Surely you know this...

Last edited:
Thats awesome then. My apologies for assuming otherwise. I've seen people mount their stuff sideways and be like "my pump's making loud noises". Glad to hear it'll work like that, thats interesting.

NPSH, all pumps have it; even little tiny ones. Surely you know this...

I'm not asking why because I don't know what it is. I'm asking why because there isn't enough change in height in that loop to cause cavitation.

The noises happen because they starve the inlet, not because of cavitation. In most cases.

Well, most pumps are designed with a minimum reservoir level to prevent cavitation. Hard to believe a water cooling loop is immune to that honestly. This one is, as mentioned from the manufacturer, designed to operate sideways so thats not a concern anymore. Doesn't need a change of height (absolutely speaking), simply a lack of npsh (which could be the case in a sideways reservoir). Pumps can be very finnicky in that regard, albeit some are designed to operate under cavitation. On the other end of the spectrum, more head = more flow = better temps. Food for thought at this point.

My next questions are do you need to have that reservoir filled all the way now, and how do you fill that loop?

I can fairly easily develop more NPSH, however getting all of the air out of the system will take a little more effort. I was planning on running a fill tube from the fill port on the existing reservoir up to the top of the case with a small reservoir to make filling easier. This takes care of the NPSH, but there will still be a small air pocket in the lower reservoir. This "air pocket" won't affect the flow characteristics of the loop, but it may make me twitch for mental reasons. Time will tell.....

I had thought of threading a 1/8th inch tube to npt adapter into the plastic of existing housing and run it to the upper reservoir to act as a vent, but I would prefer not to do that.

John

I will check the wall thickness of the reservoir when I take the top off to rotate it 90 degrees. I am guessing it will be on the thinner side of my nervous thickness....

Back