• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my PSU be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeke1144

Registered
I recently purchased a Quadro FX 5600 off Ebay. I going to be doing coding next year and CAD etc so figured I would pick one up since they aren't too expensive and I didn't want to spend that much money. However, I am unsure if my desktop PSU will be able to give it enough juice. Specs of system:

Board: Intel DG14RQ
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Ram: 2 x 2 GB DDR2
HDD: 1-7200 rpm

Power Supply:

Generic HP 350w Max

+12v 20A +12v 11A
-12v .5A

I have other power supplies available -however they are all ~300w- that I could add in as a second source if needed...
If you need any more info just ask..

Thanks,
zeke1144

You have 2 12v ratings listed and what concerns me is how they're split. the 5600 has a max power draw of 171w according to NVidias site, and if that's all on the 11A rail it's not going to be happy. Adding the 171w of the GPU and 65w of the CPU comes to 236w, or 19.667A @ 12V, which in theory could run all off the 20A rail (assuming that's constant and not peak, which I doubt) leaving the 11A rail for other devices, but that's cutting it close for a generic HP supply. Having the CPU on the 11A rail and the GPU on the 20A rail might work, but I don't know if the power supply is wired to allow that.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend, if any more at all, but if this were my system, I'd probably grab a cheap brand name power supply just for ease of mind. Something like a Corsair CX500 is cheap, decent for the price, and would be able to power it fine unless HP uses some whacky non-ATX standard connectors. Might even be able to get away with a CX430 if you're not OCing it.

Before I purchase the Corsair, I found a 400w server power supply lying around I might be able to use. Its got +12v 25A max, which would leave me ~5 amps leeway. Is that good enough or is it still in my best interest to get a Corsair?

Thanks
zeke1144

Last edited:
Brand? Age? Model number?

What Corsair are you planning to purchase?

Server PSU... does it have the same/required connections in the first place?

@ ATM - Im guessing one of the ones we mentioned and linked above... but not sure.

I was going to get a Corsair CX430 I believe...

info on Server PSU

Ablecom m/n SP401-RA(12V)

Don't know the age...

EDIT: Found a thread on here about this same PSU dating back to 2003... So I'm guessing this PSU is pretty old...

Back