• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding in Windows 8.1 question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
My main rig is running 8.1. My other rigs are running Vista and Windows 7. All of my OS are 64 bit and the machines are listed in my sig.

I've noticed that my R9-280x and 7970 on the 8.1 rig earn fewer ppd than those on the other two rigs. I'm losing close to 50k ppd. I've updated to the latest AMD drivers.

Does any one have any suggestion(s) to rectify this issue?

I noticed something similar on my recent upgrade from Win7Pro to Win8.1Pro. It seems that the client (I reloaded it) runs in "Web Control" mode at a much lower PPD than user control manual mode. Give that a try and see if it helps. My PPD is about 150K PPD user control vs. 50k PPD web control.

running a cut down win 7 pro, 64 bit (thanks Rgone) the omega driver seems to gut the production so I am going back to a 13 driver when I get a little rest and see if I get some back.

Untitled.jpg

Turns out I am losing much more than I stated above. I'm losing about 150k ppd. This is NUTS! If you look at the stats for "Main_Rig Slot 02" and then for "Win7 Slot 01" you'll see a huge gap. Similar cards.

Robert. I'm not using the web control but I'm glad to know about that for future reference.

caddi daddi. I'll play around with the drivers and see what I get. I'm running 14.12. When I installed the drivers, I first ran DDU to remove all old Nvidia and AMD drivers. Then I installed the 14.12 from scratch.

that's the way I installed it, 14.12 kind of sucks.
hayesK guided me building a folding box using linux and a gtx970 and BAMO, big points, so I am looking into a linux/2x280x box next.
the maxwell drivers kill the gk104's and the gk104 drivers kill maxwell so my 4 760's an 2 770's are left out in the cold.

My experience with "Omega" 14.12 was also a lowering of the PPD, so I reverted to 14.11 beta back in January - and i was "back", PPD-wise.

Also, I have never run 4x cards, but even on 3x I've come to expect somewhat of a small ppd hit compared to 2x or 1x card.
Actually, a current 280x/7970 rig operates at these PCI speeds: x4 2.0, x16 1.1 and x1 2.0.(One is a 1x extender) No wonder there's a difference.
I just think of it as watt efficiency anyways, keeping multiple cards on a single PSU.

how do you change it from web control to user control?

14.9 helps over using 14.12 in win 7

Attachments

• 14-9.PNG
    14-9.PNG
    124.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
caddi daddi was spot on. I went back to AMD 13.12 about an hour ago and my ppd on this machine is already showing a big jump. I'll bet by tonight it'll show well over 200k ppd but my calc says I should get closer to 300k ppd on this machine. I'll know more after some time.

caddi daddi. The screenshot that you have shows the interface that I always use. The web interface is different as it actually runs through your web browser.

the web control starts first, user control starts in the tray, I close the web thingy and open advanced control, is this what you have to do also?

Once FAH is running, you can close the web control and the advanced control. The client keeps running in the background. You can open and close the advanced control when needed and it shouldn't affect fah. To pause, start, adjust power levels and quit can all be done through right click menu options. I leave advance control open and minimized so I can check the log and status if needed.

13.9 seem to be better than the 14 drivers.

Attachments

• 13-9.PNG
    13-9.PNG
    166.7 KB · Views: 38
I have similar results with the 13.12 drivers. The 14.x drivers in win 8.1 suck for FAH.

you should have tried 14.12 when microcrap sent an update that screwed everything up and you wound up having to do a reinstall then, two weeks later they pushed an update to remove the first update.
what a fun week I had!!!!

Back