• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm having an issue with my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronHands

Registered
this past weekend I setup 3 displays on my PC and now when I'm using it everything is not going so smooth. At this moment I have IE open on all 3 displays each streaming videos and I'm getting a lot of stuttering,

I can't really keep myself together any more and nothing I have is any good really I absolutely have no one that can help me and I feel like the biggest idiot in the world. It's so hard for me to even think about how I can explain something like this to anyone.

All I want to do is use my damn computer or any computer for the matter and not feel the need to restart it or have the feeling that something is wrong. If I go into any more detail about this something will go wrong like me needing to re enter my password or something

bye i'm going to drink some more

i'll pull myself together some, maybe

Last edited:
what video card are you running? cpu? ram? os? browser? need some info to help guy. :)

sure :)

sapphire r9 280x tri x o/c
fx-6350
16gb crucial ballistix sport xt -- 2 8gb modules
win8.1
IE 11

thank you for responding also

I also should mention I have a game running on my center display too set in full screen window mode

14.12 and 1920x1200 on two displays and 1680x1050 on the 3rd.

I did have 15.3 beta installed but I removed them and went back to 14.12 which is what sapphire had from their website. that and a version that was lower.

my video card has 3gb also

when I look at GPU-Z it shows that 1268mb memory usage dedicated and 360mb memory usage dynamic under the sensor tab. I don't have as much going on right now as I did earlier but I just feel that 3gb is more than plenty but I have no idea actually.

I had a very sick feeling I was going to run to this issue but I just feel that something is not right which gets me down. I'm feeling the need that I need to RMA something and I have maybe more that I could speak about but I don't feel the use in any of it, I can get so down to the point of just giving up and laying down and just waiting for the next day to roll around and let it all just start over again. I just don't know what to do and I feel like just crying sometimes. at this moment things is going smooth with a game playing on my center display and two videos playing on each of my other displays but if I open a 3rd video and drag it to my center and have it on top of my game the videos start to stutter and stuff

What does Task Manager show for what percentage of your CPU is being utilized?

I haven't tried chrome yet, but same thing happen when I tried firefox along with having IE open.

in gpu-z under the sensors tab at VDDC Current I have 15A is that normal?

I don't understand why IE keeps my GPU at 870mhz even if I have a game open. if I have IE closed then my gpu will run at 1020mhz while I have a game open. I freaked out about this, this past weekend and uninstalled like all my monitoring programs. now I'm not too aware of what's going on and I'm just O/C my cpu and just pumping more volts to the cpu. I had my 1st ever BSOD like yesterday so I just pumped the volts up more. I'm still under 1.5v for the cpu but i'm just upset and disappointed.

Last edited:
Ironhands, please create a Signature with details about your other system components: CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, OS, video card, monitors, etc. To this point we only have info about your video card and that you have three monitors. More info would be helpful. With a signature in place your system info will travel with every post. This is very helpful to those helping you and is a common forum courtesy. You have a star under your user name now so you do have access to this feature. Go the top left corner of the page and click on Settings and then find the Edit Signature tool about midway down the left side of the page under My Settings.

something around 50% or higher mostly

At idle or when playing a game?

Last edited by a moderator:
well around 66% to 70% and that's with a game running on the center and IE open on my other displays.

This past weekend I noticed that having IE open kept my GPU at 870mhz with my game open, then when I closed IE my GPU raises to 1020mhz the default clock. IE open relating to having a flash video running. I freaked out about this and got very upset and started to delete all my monitoring programs and went back on my gpu drivers sense I did have 15.3 beta.

I'm just having trouble understanding why would watching videos in IE keep my GPU at 870mhz even with a game open but when I close IE or only have the game running then my GPU runs at 1020mhz

Might want to include info about your CPU in your Sig. A very important component indeed.

ah I left out the most important part the cpu

Last edited:
Your card downclocks for 2D applications (video playback, for instance) because that's what it's designed to do. Not many people play videos while playing a game on triple monitors, so I'm thinking that it's probably a coding issue related to your drivers. If that's the case, then you'll probably have to get ahold of AMD in some way and explain the issue to them, so that they can figure out a fix.

On a side note, why are you playing videos and games at the same time? Just doesn't seem practical.

well there is a stream that I enjoy watching on twitch and for the most part I usually never log out of ffxiv so I figured with 3 displays I could watch and interact with the stream on twitch while also playing the game front and center of me and if I needed to I could also watch like primal videos and whatnot from youtube on the 3rd display. Primal videos is I guess what you would call boss fights, sometimes people that play the game will ask "have you watched the video".

I have set myself back a lot now because of this downclocking for 2d applications, I deleted all my monitoring programs then I used DDU and wiped the drivers clean and went back to 14.12 and now I've loaded optimized defaults on my motherboard because I was getting BSOD assuming I didn't have enough voltage to my cpu.

I would love to contact amd about this as it does not make much sense as to why I would want my GPU to downclock for 2d apps when I still have a 3d app running.

afterburner was one of the last programs I downloaded before I went on my uninstall spree. I already flashed the card and replaced the 870mhz value to 1020mhz but and it worked it wasn't like IE took it back down to 870mhz because I had flashed it. I didn't keep it like that and I flashed back the factory bios because I didn't see any real improvement or anything. I was also confused on the voltage being locked or if it really is but gpu-z shows my vddc at 0.875 like always. Using the trixx overclocking utility I think I was able to do almost 1.300 but i'm just plain confused on what is needed if anything at all above 0.875 is really needed? When I flashed my card I didn't change the voltage values or anything but just the 870mhz value which was like the next power state below the 1020mhz and 501mhz being the idle power state.

Not sure if the R9 280 voltage can be adjusted in Afterburner. On lower end cards the voltage is locked.

Back