• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Services Manager

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Although I regularly use msconfig to disable all unnecessary startup stuff and non-Microsoft services, I am thinking there is/are service(s) running that are slowing down my machine. I am running an i7 at over 4Gb with Samsung 840 Pro SSDs so I have a machine that is normally very fast, boots up very quickly, and loads data/apps almost instantly. Recently I noticed it is not responding with its usual speed and alacrity. I ran ccleaner and scanned using Malwarebytes and eset but found nothing unusual. The problem seems to be focused on delays accessing data from the SSD. Although the Windows desktop appears with only a minimally longer delay than usual, there is a prolonged delay before it connects to my local network and the appearance of a couple Windows gadgets I have used for years. Therefore I am thinking there is some service trying to start during the start up sequence that is causing the problem.

Is there any software tool that I can use to monitor the startup sequence to exactly what is loading and when?

Also, is there any software that can analyze all the running services and make recommendations with respect to their need?

Check out the SysinternalsSuite. There are tools in the suite to allow for searching in just such instances. I think there are about 25 different utilities included. Process explorer should help you find the culprit although there is a utility for checking load sequence also.

Back