• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HWbot Prime Benchmark is Flawed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Dear Sir,

I just submitted a HWbot Prime benchrun using a AMD FX-8370.
I used only 4 cores / 4 threads like a Intel i5 2500.
My score / run was listed as a 8 core CPU instead of a AMD FX-4300.

The reason that I did this, was to compete against other 4 core CPU's
After what has happened, I wish to raise the BS flag.

I ran the HWbot Prime benchmark with my AMD FX-8370, which many
claim is a 4 core / 8 thread CPU. My score was 6840.56 and I received
.5 point's for this.

On the home page, someone submitted a HWbot Prime benchmark using a
Intel i7 4790K. This CPU, 4 core / 8 thread is regarded by MANY to be superior
to any AMD 8xxx CPU. The score posted was 6742.29 BUT the point's awarded
was :
UGP 22.5
UHP 16.8
GTPP 31.8
HTPP 8.2

* This is because the i7 4790K was listed as a 4 core CPU and ranked as such.
* Even disabling cores in my FX 8370, it was still listed as a 8 core CPU and ranked as such.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

MaddMutt

I fail to see what you're on about...

The 4790K is likely a more popular CPU with more submissions, so it is going to give more points for higher ranked submissions.

If you submitted as whatever CPU you were running there shouldn't be a problem.

FX 8000/9000 = 8 core category and won't be in any other even if you reduce amount of active cores.
Intel i7 is 8 threaded CPU but it has 4 real cores so it's still in 4 core category.
In this way hwbot limited "cheating" by using 1 CPU in every core category like when you get 8 Core Intel then you could add results to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 core categories.

You can unlock cores up like when you get 2 core Phenom II then you can unlock it to 3 or 4 cores and post results in 2/3/4 core categories.

Yes MaddMutt is doing quite well for a rookie. #6 overall in DIV IV

comp.JPG

It's pretty much wrapped up Witchy. 20 minutes left I think. I was first yesterday?? Then I wake up to this.

I knew it was coming, not my first rodeo and TopDog does it pretty consistently. It's just part of the game anymore. No prizes so no biggie to me. The team cup should start soon shouldn't it?

I just posted a starter thread for it. Basically they pick categories and certain hardware. It's all over the map too. Then we submit as a team not individually . It's easier that way since not everyone has the required hardware.

When the time comes and we know hardware etc.. we'll start up a list of who has what and can do what to try and cover all the categories. Believe me it's all over the place form ARM to the old classics.

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to dust off my AMD Socket 462 and the Athlon XP 2500 (Barton), just in case it's needed.
I still have some Athlon 64 X2's in my spare parts box : 5000+ BE, 5000+ non BE, and a 4850e.

FX 8000/9000 = 8 core category and won't be in any other even if you reduce amount of active cores.
Intel i7 is 8 threaded CPU but it has 4 real cores so it's still in 4 core category.
In this way hwbot limited "cheating" by using 1 CPU in every core category like when you get 8 Core Intel then you could add results to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 core categories.

You can unlock cores up like when you get 2 core Phenom II then you can unlock it to 3 or 4 cores and post results in 2/3/4 core categories.

Thank You Sir,
That was the information that I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandbagging FTL!

I hear ya E_C. I don't roll that way cause once I post it's usually the best I can get but other do. Topdog does it consistently so I know what to expect but that gubben guy just came out of nowhere.

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to dust off my AMD Socket 462 and the Athlon XP 2500 (Barton), just in case it's needed.
I still have some Athlon 64 X2's in my spare parts box : 5000+ BE, 5000+ non BE, and a 4850e.
Bring your A game. The team competition is tougher than you think. :D

Back