• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just A Simple Questiong? :) Please:D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MSIFreak1992

Okay so ive been searching on the web for 3+ hours now trying all diffrent search fields and reading and adding and all kinds... I obviously suck at searching crap up. so i ask the experts...@! :) please help me...
Ive been trying to find out if Shocked by a Computer power supply UNDER NORMAL condition IE. Not Wet not with two hands, or sweaty just normal conditions if it will kill you i have two power supplies.

One is a 500Watt (Toppower Model TOP-500
Specs
+3.3volts @ 28Amps
+5 Volts @ 50Amps
+12volts1 @ 15Amps
+12volts2 @ 16 Amps
-12volts @ 1Amp
-5volts @ 0.8Amps
+5VSB @ 2.5Amps
and a generic 300W (Hipro Model HP-D3057F3R
Specs
+3.3volts @ 18Amps
+5volts @ 25Amps
+12volts @ 19Amps
-12Volts @ 0.8Amps
-5Volts @ UNKNOWN
+5VSB @ 2Amps
Question
Will they kill me if contacted....? Probally seems like the easiest question in the world? the closed ive gotten search on the web IS BLUH BLUH amps kills befor volts and 15volts isnt enought power to push the volts threw but i ask is that DC or AC? its confussing but i need to know thanks! :) please help me!

Generally no, your standard 12V PSU won't kill you if you by any chance come into contact with the 12v rail under what you call "normal conditions" - as in brushing a 12v wire with a dry hand or something like that. And under what I call "normal conditions" you wouldn't even ask this question, as that would involve removing molex connectors or exposing live, bare wire in some way, working on a computer when it's plugged in and on, etc. Generally a bad idea no matter what voltage/amperage your talking about.

HOWEVER

I feel as though I should mention this as I don't know why you're asking. There are ways a standard PSU can still shock, injure, and possibly kill you, as there's higher voltage floating around inside the power supply itself, even after the supply is unplugged (I know a few of the mods and senior members floating around do power supply reviews and will tell you just that). So even though I doubt you can be killed under normal operation, I wouldn't go poking around, just because. Anything running on more than a pair of AAAs should be treated carefully.

First, I would throw away that topower before it takes out your system... They are garbage.

Second, OUTSIDE of the psi if you get shocked, it won't kill you, no. But you can get.killed messing around INSIDE the psu.

Generally 1 amp across your heart can kill you

Being you are in a position when hit for that to happen is what dictates the difference between life and death when shocked

Most modern quality supplies have a discharge resistor to remove the charge from the capacitors(which if not discharged can give you good or worse shock). I'd be leery of the Toppower. Hipro, if I remember correctly, is an OEM supplier for companies like Dell, so they should be cool.
Aside from what was mentioned above, the only thing I could think of that can affect you outside would be a loose wire contacting the housing, which would be almost impossible.

Back