• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A memory problem? really?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amossss

Registered
Hi

After upgrading my computer, the memory problems are still there and they are weirder than ever. I have 8GB ram, 8GB pagefile, only 4.5GB is taken and still the popup appears.

I ignored it thinking it was nothing but eventually every thing became black (the screen showed nothing), when it showed something again, one of the apps (android studio) kept crashing (was closed out of the blue without any warning) so I had to restart.

sbnfgn.png.jpg

Does this go away after you reboot? Has that pc been up for a month+? It seems.to me.that something is leaky, that coupled with your apparent month+ uptime is what would appear to be the issue to me at first glance....

Does this go away after you reboot? Has that pc been up for a month+? It seems.to me.that something is leaky, that coupled with your apparent month+ uptime is what would appear to be the issue to me at first glance....

It is up for a long time and maybe something is leaking (firefox or Android Studio which I use a lot) but until now I had the opposite problem where the performance tab showed a very high RAM consumption while the "processes" consume much less of that. Now the problem is that the performance shows a "normal" consumption but the computer behaves as if it got no memory at all.

From the screenshot: Commit (GB) 15/15 - indicates the problem is in Virtual Memory, ~12GB used?

Batch files #34 and 35 here will allow you to quickly check the current/peak usage and current settings.

Enabling the viewing of Commit Size column in TaskMan's Processes tab will enable you to keep track of individual Processes' paging file usage.

happened to me all the time when i turned off the page file on disk. but some games cause it to still do it with a large page file. duno what it is i just click OK and go on with my business, ya know like drinking beer. :beer:

From the screenshot: Commit (GB) 15/15 - indicates the problem is in Virtual Memory, ~12GB used?

Enabling the viewing of Commit Size column in TaskMan's Processes tab will enable you to keep track of individual Processes' paging file usage.

What does the Commit (GB) 15/15 say? after restart it is now on 3/15

With the previous computer I had, there was no correlation between the commit size in the processes tab and the performance tab, then I had the opposite problem, where the performance tab showed a very high memory consumption while the processes tab shows very little. I still had the same memory too high popups. I was hoping that upgrading my computer will solve this thing.

Upgrading your OS does not prevent an application from leaking memory. ;)

Reboot sooner than every 30 days or contact the company that makes your leaky application...

Upgrading your OS does not prevent an application from leaking memory. ;)

Reboot sooner than every 30 days or contact the company that makes your leaky application...

Upgraded my computer, not the OS (windows 7)

The apps are mostly Firefox and Android Studio. Beforehand, the problem was that the processes tab didn't show any problem - only the performance tab. Now the problem is even bigger because neither the processes tab nor the performance tab show a problem - only the memory popups I posted here so I don't know which is the problematic application.

Ok... upgrading your hardware delays a memory leak from presenting itself, it does not prevent it.

Did you use the program that satrow linked above?

*ANYTHING* 15/15 = (almost) full, maxed out. All other stats on the Performance tab are fine - but something is continually dumping data onto disk (page file).

Firefox can be a memory hog and there are many badly coded web pages that can also hit the page file - if those also contain auto-refresh or 'ticker' elements, it will eat RAM/PF. But, FF (x86) should only be able to use 2-3GB (in reality, probably no more than ~1.8) before disappearing without a trace like your Android Studio did. Load about:memory in FF and check it regularly for anything eating memory.

We can't check your logs/details for you so it's up to you to feed us the info so that we can try to work out what's going awry.

In an emergency, try using RAMMAP to clear out stored data (under the Empty tab, refresh after each - also check using the WMI tool I linked earlier to check the effect of each action) - it will make your software sluggish for a while after using it, but it could give you longer uptime, if that's so important to you. This page also has a video linked that might help you troubleshoot your issue further: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700229.aspx (I'm going to sit back and watch it now :)).

EDIT: I'm pleased I watched that, I'd forgotten about VMMap, watch the above first then follow it up with the VMMap video linked from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535533.aspx

Last edited:
Back