• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which z97 motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Hero really isn't a deal. It costs more and has less features than the Extreme4 or Extreme6.
Having owned a Z97 Extreme6 and a Maximus Hero VI, I can say that'd I'd pick the Extreme every single day.

Well, that Z97-pro is out of my budget LOL.

Anyways, the extreme6 happens to be for sale here for 210$ while the extreme4 at 160$ big difference. Anything I should be aware of about the board? I see the extreme4 doesn't have a clr cmos button :-/ internal power and reset buttons? (these buttons I found them handy when I was overclocking with my AMD)

can't believe you guys convinced me to stay with asrock :clap:

Yea, i though AsRock was off the table ???

I like the Asus for mainstream, but the ex 6 is solid

The Extreme4 still has the internal power/reset/clrcmos buttons.

What I've noticed that the Extreme6 has that the Extreme4 doesn't:
- Dual M.2 slots
- Dual LAN ports
- (2) more SATA ports
- Rear eSATA

lol the 50$ difference for nothing well ext4 it is then!

Off-topic:
Okay, I don't want to make another thread just to ask what ram you guys suggest I get for my build. So what do you suggest I get?

Last edited:
lol the 50$ difference for nothing well ext4 it is then!

You'll be good with the Asrock board mate. Don't stress about it, it's a tested, solid board.

Now if the other guys in this thread aren't on the marketing team for Asrock getting a kickback, then they're doing it wrong :)

You'll be good with the Asrock board mate. Don't stress about it, it's a tested, solid board.

Now if the other guys in this thread aren't on the marketing team for Asrock getting a kickback, then they're doing it wrong :)

I wish I got a kickback :(

Only thing I got was an Extreme6, but I was given that for review.
And after ~20 pages of writing, I think I was even with them :p

Okay, so I read that thread about asus' motherboards and RMA on your sig ATM. :rofl:

Now, I'm just missing RAM for my upgrade what do you guys suggest?

Last edited:
look at the extreme 4 and 6, I have 2 extreme 9's, love them and push the things very hard for long periods of time, overkill on features but the basic boards are very good, if they take what I dish out they have to be stout.
one feature i will never be without again is dual bios, it's saved my butt a few times.
moving to intel is going to be a bit of a shock, just multi and vcore and you will get what you're going to get, not to much to twist and turn to tweak a little more out of it like amd.

Okay, I was about to grab the ext4/6(even the z97x Killer; ext9 too) but its out of stock everywhere here so I am left with no choice but to choose between MSI's Gaming 5, Asus' Z97-a or an Asus Z97 Pro Gamer.

Okay, I was about to grab the ext4/6(even the z97x Killer; ext9 too) but its out of stock everywhere here so I am left with no choice but to choose between MSI's Gaming 5, Asus' Z97-a or an Asus Z97 Pro Gamer.

You'll be good with any of them. At this point just take a look at the features and decide which one sounds the best for you and will fulfill any future demands/upgrades

Back