• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a Windows 8.1 ISO from 8.0 can be done but what about including Update 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
When Windows 8.1 came out in 2013, people figured out how to make a Windows 8.1 ISO so that they can install Windows 8.1 instead of 8.0 immediately, one example instructions page from 2013:
www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick

Subsequent to that "Windows 8.1 Update" came out which updates the initial Windows 8.1 version with additional updates:
64-Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335
32-Bit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42327

Can those be included in the ISO?
Is Windows 8.1 ISO the latest available version on MSDN/TechNet or is it Windows 8.1 + [those Updates to 8.1] included in the ISO?

This is important because if we can only update to Windows 10 from an already installed Windows 8 then the closest thing to fresh Windows 10 install
would be fresh installing Windows 8 then immediately installing Windows 10 when it comes out.

Microsoft has a direct download of 8.1, I'd assume it's just 8.1 without updates.

Please link to Official Microsoft web site (not third party) with the 8.1 ISO download.

Anyone with MSDN or TechnNET access, can you post which Windows 8 ISOs are available there - I don't mean Win8 flavors, I mean is it just version 8.0 and 8.1 or is there an ISO there which includes within it the 8.1+Update1. I think I heard somewhere that there is, can you confirm?

All right, so that little stub file launches the process, that eventually gets you a full multi GB ISO?
There is no download link?

I seem to recall that when I created the 8.1 ISO for myself it was a huge pain in the rear process that involved jumping through multiple hoops, including entering my own retail Windows 8 activation key just to get to a point where I needed to somehow "trick" them into getting the actual ISO file instead of doing the full install.

Or will the stub file get the full multi GB ISO relatively quickly?

I am about to post another thread in the forum about these stub files that prevent us from getting full versions of programs, Firefox just removed even the complicated way to get their full installation file...

All right, well, no alternative to finding out the hard way then...

Alright... so you download an .exe file. Which you then launch and it communicates with a Microsoft server. It asks you for the language, then you have to specify the flavor of Windows you want to download then you have to specify 32-Bit or 64-Bit then it starts downloading... and there is no cancel button only Back and Finish buttons on the download window... and both of those are grayed out...

So that's what that exe file does. But you can get an ISO that way for sure.
You cannot cancel this huge download, you can click on the upper right X and shut down the window, leaving you wondering if you also canceled the download or only closed that window.

Last edited:
Was just reading up on this, and I'm still not sure if you need an new license for 8.1 if you have 8.0 installed. I'd like to do a clean install instead of an update. I've read so many different articles with conflicting info that I'm not sure what's fact or false.

No, you don't need a new license if you upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1.
You will not even need a new license if you upgrade from Windows 8.0 or 8.1 to yet to be released Windows 10 either.

If you'd like a clean install then do a clean install using ATMINSIDE's link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Then do this:

Windows 8.1 cannot be initially installed using your official retail Windows 8 key.

Use the following Microsoft-provided key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
to initially install Windows 8.1 Professional.

After completing Windows 8.1 installation, change the Microsoft-provided installation key to your own Windows 8 key.

Right click on This PC > Change Product Key
or
Windows 8.1 Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Product Key

Do so from DOS Command Prompt using command:
slui 3

or

Method 1:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3
Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon
Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click on Activate.

Method 2:
Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 1-2-3

(where 1-2-3 is your product key)

Have you tried it, or know anyone else who has? I saw that some people had problems with that(elsewhere), unless theywere doing it wrong. That sounds like what I need.

I have been pretty much avoiding 8.0 or 8.1, but figure its time to take the plunge.

They were doing it wrong.
I posted clear instructions here based on my own experience.
I did not stick with 8.1 and went back to 8.0 because two of the programs I used heavily at the time were both compatible with 8.0 but not with 8.1 and many of my custom settings, custom OS settings were reset... so I I thought might as well install 8.1 from scratch if it resets my custom 8.0 settings...

If you have a 100% working 7, why bother with 8... just wait until later this summer and go straight to 10 from 7.

8 is more if you are starting from scratch, then absolutely go with 8 and not 7...

Install failed, but the problem was my version of 8.0 was basic and not Pro. I've found that there is no generic key for the basic edition for a clean install.

Install failed, but the problem was my version of 8.0 was basic and not Pro. I've found that there is no generic key for the basic edition for a clean install.

If only someone made a tutorial on this site that shows you EXACTLY what to do...

oh wait...

OP - Would this solve the issue with having a W8 KMS key and getting the "your system doesnt support this update" error when trying to download the 8.1 update?

I have a W8 legit ISO with a KMS key and it wont let me update to 8.1 per the above message. I've tried downloading M$ said prerequisites to no avail, manually and still receive a generic "this update isnt supported on your system" message.

It wants me to log in to a MSDN account and download the full 8.1 iso instead but i no longer have access to that account. From what I gather from this thread, you can bake in the 8.1 update in?

Back