• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stamplive virus/pup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

I just got done with a fresh install and somehow I've already got a virus. Randomly when I open a new tab and click I get a popup window (new tab in chrome) which opens stamplive.com and some add then it tries to download .exe's.

Avast is now blocking it from downloading, but it still is popping up. I don't see any extensions other than ad block pro and avast in chrome and there's 5-10 guides online for how to remove it, but they're all different and don't seem to make sense.

Anyone with a good link or advice for how to fix this?

Thanks,
Aaron

Finally!

You need to remove all search engines from your browsers (the default ones), and then kill the processess in task manager.
Then run malwarebytes anti-malware and remove everything, reboot.
Run ADWcleaner and reboot

Last edited:
Are you using Google Chrome? I used to get this thing on IE. I followed this removal guide here and I removed it. You can check it if you need. However, I learn that it is good to use anti-virus program to defense pop ups and virus.

Good luck to you.

one of the things I have learned is not to connect to the internet untill I have completed my install and configured everything else, including configuring updates, removing crapware and installing basic anti virus.

In my 20 years of 'modern' computing, I have always had an internet connection when installing an OS. Unless your OS is not legit there shouldn't be any reason not to have it connected (how would you get updates without it???).

Do you all treat it a virus? I saw some articles about this stamplive.com (eg. this one) and they say that it's a browser hijacker and should not be taken as a virus. I think so. My antivirus does not say its a virus either. But it's not good for the computer, this is obvious.

Its a pup. Potentially unwanted program - PUP

They redirect, feed dubious advertisement, poach your click revenue... Generally hijack your machines to there own agenda.

Not really something you want going wild in the background :)

Back