• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asus Rampage IV not working with Nvidia GTX 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I just got a new EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC and I want to plug it into an Asus Rampage IV motherboard. Both of these components seemly work fine individually. I am typing right now on the PC with the RampageIV and looking at the windows log in screen displayed next to me on a computer with the GTX 970 in it. The issue is that when I put the two together I get no video. I have tried 3 different PCIE slots (all of which work with the existing video card). I have made sure the video card is correctly powered (using both the same and different power cables as on the current video card.). When I plug in both the old GPU (an AMD Radeon HD 6870) and the 970GTX at the same time I get no video out of either card. I have tried Both DVI outputs, the displayport output and the hdmi output. The motherboard code is AA, which is the normal "everythings good" code.

The PC specs are as follows:
ASUS Rampage IV
Intel I7 3930k
16 Gigs of Ram
1000W Corsair Power supply
Old video card: XFX Radeon 6870
New/problem video card: EVGA Geforce 970 GTX SC

The PC that the 970 does work on is using the following:
MSI k9a2 platinum mobo
AMD quad core (not sure exactly what's in it right now as it is 6 years old)
4 gigs of ram
OCZ 650w power supply

What do I need to do or what should I try to get these two parts to work together?

I wasn't sure whether this fit in motherboards or videocards so I have posted it to both sections.

Edit: Issue resolved via bios update, thanks for the help

Last edited:
Left the motherboard section thread(here)...deleted the duplicate thread. :)

Good question on this one... have you updated the bios on the RIV would be my first question..

Maybe even a driver issue from the old radeon to Nvidia? Did you use something like DDU ( display driver uninstaller) before the swap?

I'm giving the bios update a shot. The board was still using the original bios. I have to say though I hate doing bios updates. They make me feel like I am going to brick my system more then anything else.

Doesn't that board have two bios anyway? Id look to drivers or the bios update out of the gate.

Back