• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX980 causing system freeze, but only with BF4.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have an issue where ever since i got my 980's, my system will freeze after a short while in BF4, then i can do hard reboot (hold power button to off) then run the machine again, i an wont see this issue again, until the next day.

This issue started to happen after i got my 980's, did not have this issue with my sapphire 7970's.

I have tried to format and do a full system reinstall many times (Win7), and even now, i am running Windows 10, its the same. It happens if i play online or offline.

The temps on the GPU's are fine, and CPU too. This is a strange issue.

What could cause this to happen? And why will it run 100% perfect after the hard reboot?

Specs in sig.

That is an odd problem, but disguarding everything else the only thing that has changed is the vid cards

So it is logical to assume it is either the cards them selves or the drivers

I would bet on the drivers.

Thats my logic. I did play around with Ram overclocking at the time, but they are running stock at the moment, i will run a mem test on them soon.

But yes, only change is GPU's, and drivers would seem strange, since i reinstalled and updated drivers many times in between, this issue is months old, but due to down time i was unable to test.

Have you tried downclocking slightly? And when it freezes have you attempted Ctrl+Alt+F4 or Alt+Tab? I ask because it sounds like an issue I was having with my 980 where the drivers constantly crashed when gaming (funny enough not in benchmarks) and it appeared to be hard crashes until the moment I noticed the game go unresponsive I would alt tab to desktop and see the little box saying recovered from driver crash in the sys tray.

My problems were due to an unstable unlocked BIOS, though you can try something such as grabbing PrecisionX and enabling K-Boost or also just bumping the Core voltage to max and see if you have any issues. With the issues I was having I did a bit of research and apparently when the gpu gets to so much load the voltage starts to fluctuate on quite a few 980 cards regardless of brand and sometimes the voltage supplied is actually lower than the needed voltage. Sure enough, the max voltage thing worked for me when using the unstable bios.

Have you tried downclocking slightly? And when it freezes have you attempted Ctrl+Alt+F4 or Alt+Tab? I ask because it sounds like an issue I was having with my 980 where the drivers constantly crashed when gaming (funny enough not in benchmarks) and it appeared to be hard crashes until the moment I noticed the game go unresponsive I would alt tab to desktop and see the little box saying recovered from driver crash in the sys tray.

My problems were due to an unstable unlocked BIOS, though you can try something such as grabbing PrecisionX and enabling K-Boost or also just bumping the Core voltage to max and see if you have any issues. With the issues I was having I did a bit of research and apparently when the gpu gets to so much load the voltage starts to fluctuate on quite a few 980 cards regardless of brand and sometimes the voltage supplied is actually lower than the needed voltage. Sure enough, the max voltage thing worked for me when using the unstable bios.

Cards are fully stock, never been overclocked in anyway. That said, its a full system freeze, alt+cntr+del wont do jack, its a full system freeze.

I'm almost positive it's drivers. I have the same issue on BF4 and some of my other demanding games. The latest driver cleared up a lot of it, but I still have issues running most games if the system has been up for a day or more.

I'm almost positive it's drivers. I have the same issue on BF4 and some of my other demanding games. The latest driver cleared up a lot of it, but I still have issues running most games if the system has been up for a day or more.

Sounds strange. I managed to play about 20mins until the freeze up today. Didnt go back in after the restart, i started up a Memtest.

I did not.

What i have done is:
A guy on EVGA forums said he had same, upped the volts and it was fine.
This did not help me.

I then tried single card gaming. No issues until i quit the game, which i think is a w10 issue, since all games crash when u close them.

There was word of a huge thread on EA/BF4 about this issue. Seems its the game. As for right now, going with only 1 GPU works fine, i dont notice much differnce when gaming single 1440p screen. Which im okay with for now.

Triple gaming i only do with car games, and right now, i only have 2 screens until my second dell U2515H arrives next week.

I tested the second card today, all i fine with both cards without SLi.

I have now gone back to 344.65 from Nov 2014, and i dont even get an option for Sli, so odds are that driver wont give me sli issues.. For obvious reasons.

Turns out it still was using the lastest driver.

I have tried everything, no matter what i do, no matter how i do it, windows 10 somehow finds the latest drivers and uses them! I can get the pc to run older physx and geforce experience, but drivers... not a chance..

how is win10 finding the latest driver it self?
download the driver you want from the nvidia site and use display driver uninstaller or drive sweeper to remove the current driver first, from safe mode.

never used w10... No clue why that would be happening but I am more than sure there is an easy way around it.

one other thing to look at, looks like your cards should be on 12v3-12v6 rails.
strange thing is you are having a freeze and not a fade to black screen issue.

Back