• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 to TitanX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazycanukk

Registered
Morning everyone :D
\
So, debating on a GTX780 upgrade to the Titan x (maybe the superclocked one from EVGA)

Its an obvious massive jump from my current GTX780 .

My full system specs are

I7 5960x @4.2 ghz
Noctua NH D-14 cooler
16 gigs ddr4
Asrock fatal1ty Killer x99x motherboard
Adata 256 ssd as C drive
1 TB samsung 840evo games drive
1tb hdd as scrub drive for video recording

all Wrapped in a Corsair540 case

Monitor is a ROG swift Gsync 27" 2560 x 1440 (main) and a 24 " Benq 1080p

Debating on the Titan x as an upgrade as my GTX 780 is showing signs its struggling at times at 2560 x 1440 and new games are going to push it even harder...eg Witcher 3 , the Division, GTA V and a few other titles.

Question i am asking myself ..do you think the Titan X would stay a Viable single card to use going into the next 2-3 years? thats about as long as i try and hold onto a card when i have purchased it and the reason why i target the best card at the time of my upgrade as a purchase.

Dx12 and windows 10 seem like they will be making good use of my 5960x in the next year or so and thats damn good news with a 7x draw call increase being seen.

just opinions..would you reasonably expect to be able to keep this investment viable for the next 3 years of gaming? Its a large investment but one i dont mind making if i can get 3 good years out of it for the price.

If you can wait 3 months, I would wait as well... if not, grab the X and call it a day.

I agree with that, and I also think that buying a single thousand+ dollar card isn't the best way to make it last. The OP could buy two GTX 980s and put them in SLI and it would smoke the TitanX in all but ram-limited situations

or grab another 780 on the cheap , not many titles out there 2x 780's cant deal with.

Then pull the trigger on the 14nm Ti once released

I agree with that, and I also think that buying a single thousand+ dollar card isn't the best way to make it last. The OP could buy two GTX 980s and put them in SLI and it would smoke the TitanX in all but ram-limited situations

This.

A 980 should last for 2 years just as well as your 780 has, and it costs half of the Titan X.

In what games would 8gigs be ram-limited greef

I am obviously missing some vital information their. And it is a perplexing as to why maybe someone could PM me if answering that question here is too off topic. Seriously my bad. Sorry.

In sli, right now, the data is mirrored on each set of memory it has available. So capacity does not increase since the same data is on both card's vram. It does not double. :)

Thanks for all the responses. :) Sorry i didn't get back sooner to post , work has me hopping atm. I am going to wait and see what AMD brings to the table in June with their new cards as well. Early leaked specs seem to suggest their 390x is a beast, but for me it has to be more power efficient than they have been and not run nearly as hot as they have been as well. If AMD have fixed the power efficiency and still able to produce a card that can run close to a Titan in the same power envelope for a little less money..I will be happy to step back into the AMD ecosystem.

The 980Ti was the card i am really looking forward to but it looks like Fall that it will be available now as i am reading. I have been debating on buying a used second 780 and just go SLI and hold off until 2016 and pascal ..

too many damn options..LOL

the only reason i like to keep as high and and current is a lesson i learned a long time ago. Had an old PC..old GPU..put off upgrading and put it off more. Lost my job and was unemployed for many months..no money, nothing i could do and then found myself with a dead GPU and no warranty and the only one i could afford barely ran the games i was playing at that time and i had crap internet as well because it was cheap. So from that time forward i try to keep things as current in my GPU's at least so if i find myself in that situation again at least i have some form of entertainment to keep the mind occupied while i try to sort things out.

Hello . Titan x owner here . Had a 780 ti before. It's twice as fast in most cases and has 4x the vram. If you could afford it you won't regret it

I am in a similar boat. Currently running a single ASUS GTX 780 and considering GTX 980 SLI vs. single Titan X. A second Titan X for SLI would be too frickin sweet! Liquid cooled Titan X SLI...:drool:. I wish they were not so expensive. Darn it to heck...straight to heck! I loved the Jay's 2 Cents Titan X review, he cracks me up! There is also the GTX 980 Ti coming soon to make decisions even easier...:confused:

Back