• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sennheiser RS 180 vs SteelSeries H Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK thanks, so without the sound card does it still use USB? or does it use some analogue output from the sound card on your PC?

Yeah, still USB.

The Tactic3D is only USB.
The Recon3D has inputs for analog and optical signals, but they say USB is preferred for PC.

do any of you that use non usb headsets use an amp of any kind? I have the Fiio Kilamanjaro and it is a very helpful piece for driving many headphones. I like it loud and most headphones just arent up to the task without an amp

@dejo I have never used an amp for my headsets but I was considering one.

Do any of you know what the deal is with SPDIF/Side port on the Xonar Phoebus. I am a bit confused...I thought SPDIF was optical out.
Am I somehow able to use this analogue out as an optical out?...instaed of using it for side speakers?

Last edited:
if its optical it will be toslink. I think spdif can be on several connections

if its optical it will be toslink. I think spdif can be on several connections

I see...do you know if spdif can give surroud sound?
OK it apparently supports 5.1

EDIT:
Ok...apprently the card came with a TOSLINK adapter for that analogue lol

Last edited:
Ok guys...so I've moved beyond gaming headsets alone. Now I am comparing ALL wireless headsets/headphones.
Some of the things on my list include Sennheiser RS175, 185, Sony Pulse Elites, Skullcandy PLYR, Pioneer SE-DIR800C, Sony MDR-HW700DS
Now the RS 175 is suppose to have their own "surround sound" mode
But I also hear from other people they have always gotten better surround sound effect with open backed headphones.
And the RS 185 are open backed but have no surround mode.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Which wireless headphones/headset can give me the "best" sound quality, which offers great positional sound?

Last edited:
Not really...bluetooth headphones tend to be smaller and usually tend to be on-ear. Usually designed to be portable, like listening to music on the go.
I want over-ear cans, that can provide great positional/surround sound effect. I will only be using these at home for gaming and movies.
If you know any good bluetooth headphones that fit this description let me know.

How will this work on pc? Also will I not have a really long cabel hanging off me if I bought some wired headphones for this?
Remember I am not looking at "portable headphones"
Wired headphones to me would be like Sennheiser HD600s not like some portable ear buds

Last edited:
If your PC already has Bluetooth, it just works. If it doesn't, a $10 adapter will add it. (Be sure to get one that supports Bluetooth 4 in order to future proof it.)

You can tie up the cable so it doesn't tangle. Or if you get some headphones with a detachable cable, you can use a short one.

Mike, I had an issue with audio quality using Bluetooth.
If there was a program using the microphone, it would drop the headphones out of the aptX codec and the quality would go to crap.

Can you confirm that device won't have that problem?

You could buy from a place with a good return policy so you can just return it if it doesn't work well enough for your purposes.

There are also Wifi solutions but I have no idea how well they do on latency.

I will definitely keep this little gadget in mind.
Also there are quite a few wireless headsetst that use the 2.4hz range like the RS 160,170,180 etc but some people do report some latency issues. I wonder if the newer Sennheizer models RS 175 or 185 have the same issues...
To be honest I'm not sure if it will even be an issue for gaming and movies, the delay is meant to be like half a second.

Both Bluetooth and Wifi are 2.4GHz. Nowadays, Bluetooth and Wifi are supposed to coexist pretty well. In theory, it's possible to use 5GHz Wifi for audio, but I have yet to see a ready solution for that.

Both Bluetooth and Wifi are 2.4GHz. Nowadays, Bluetooth and Wifi are supposed to coexist pretty well. In theory, it's possible to use 5GHz Wifi for audio, but I have yet to see a ready solution for that.

I've used a 5.4GHz headset, that worked well.
Also I've used a dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and it worked well too.

Back