• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

more 8370 results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the 2133 memory came in
Also RGone has to be laughing - "hey look at this idiot try and reinvent the wheel" lol.

I suppose re-confirming all the stuff they've already done

No I did not laugh or even grin. A person may purchase and use whatever they desire in their own system and with their own monies. If the ram is liked by the motherboard and gives no setup issues then it is ram that can be used.

I have 1 kit 2x4 G Skill DDR3-1600 Ares.

I have 1 kit 2x4 G Skill DDR3-1866 Ares. (my favorite really since it will hold some tight timings)

I have 2 kit 2x4 G Skill DDR3-2133 Ares. (total 16Gig)

I have 1 kit 4x4 G Skill DDR3-2400 Ares. (total 16Gig) I bought this knowing it likely would not benefit an AM3+ configuration but would still work in an Intel Z97 rig should I fall into the Intel trap. Hehehe.

So I have a number of kits of ram that work without the issues given by some Kingston ram. The DDR3-2400 oddly is seen not as DDR3-1600 as most odd ram is on AM3+ mobos but as DDR3-1866 ram when just plugged in and uses 'fair' default ram timings.

With only a single video card and cpu speeds less than 4.8GHz, I find no performance boost with faster ram. So I am currently using only my DDR3-1866 ram because I am on Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional that does not have Read to Read delay user setting in bios and I cannot get my DDR3-1600 to 'buddy-up' with my DDR3-1866 as I can on my Asus CHV mobos with the Read to Read Delay timing in bios of CHV mobos. That is my overall favorite ram combination since it gives me 16Gig and holds really good timings at DDR3-1940 to just about DDR3-2000 which seems a sweet-spot for a lot of my AM3+ mobos.

But buying super fast ram for AM3+ platforms and being crestfallen if the stuff will not run some fast speed claim or does and/or does not show off some huge benefits and irks the user...well it is only that which we try and advise about so that mental anguish does not befall the unwary. Otherwise ram is ram and even better if it is 100% compatible without dances and sacrifices to get it to work. Tighter timings are always supreme in AMD land. Over and out.

RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzz

No I did not laugh or even grin.

sorry I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I need to get it out of my head... my oldschool mentality of this stuff from the Socket 7 days.

AM3+ is really well known. I'm not going to discover anything new, especially in the expertise here :)

Time for me to take a few steps back hehe.

sorry I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Time for me to take a few steps back hehe.

Man you have in NO way made offense to me. You have hung around and pro-offered help. NOT often that happens. I only think it takes a little time to absorb all the stuff we have sort of settled on as "the norm" for use in helping out the "Help Me Overclock My Shett" posters that are gimme and run.

I can assure you that as long as the familiar faces you see daily in here have been around...it takes a bit more than a supposed putting of words in my/our mouths to tilt the dingy and take on water. Hehehe.

You did n0t buy the ram and after a bout with testing, write a post that said: "why this (&^$*) ram does not do anything extra for me?" It is faster ram. NOW if you had posted that...well I would have thought you had not passed old school with a 3.5GPA. Hehehe. No harms no fouls. Thanks for helping out.

RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry for the drama then. It's been a week of stress.

In other news a new "project" is... looming? More like a bunch of junk getting mashed together into a box and we see what happens.

The short of it is the 'ol Phenom x6 1045T put into a gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0 ... yea I know. I basically bought the mobo from a buddy to "bail him out of mobo hell" ... I was so happy when he bought the sabertooth to replace this board.

However... yea that means I have this board lol.

And lordy, my brief results are already uninspiring. Another failure, another thread :rofl:

Could not help...

...searching a little for and about your "project".

"xrror", you should really enjoy this thread about that board. I felt both sorry and just plain flummoxed by the OP. I was searching the board by model and overclocking and of course you have to go and look to see what is what. But I was not prepared for what I found. Hehehe. But right at the end they did show him how to raise the Vcore. Oh my. Have fun with "project" board.

RGone...

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 rev 3 Please help me and tell me what will be the bios setting to overclock fx 6300 on gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 rev 3, i am not unable to past more then 3.82 ghz

@ Rgone

I pick up some Ballistix Elite DDR3 2133 2x2GB sticks with stock timings @ 9-10-9-24 1T 1.65v. Should I drop this to 2000 with a 8-9-9-24 timing or try and push 2400 with a 9-10-9-27 or a 9-11-9-24 on my 8370????
I can push my vengeance 1600 to 2000 with 9-10-10-24 1T @ 1.65v or 9-10-9-25 1T @1.65. I've had it hit 2133+ with 10-11-10-27 1T @1.65
I welcome all comments on this configuration :)

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

I pick up some Ballistix Elite DDR3 2133 2x2GB sticks with stock timings @ 9-10-9-24 1T 1.65v. Should I drop this to 2000 with a 8-9-9-24 timing or try and push 2400 with a 9-10-9-27 or a 9-11-9-24 on my 8370????

You do not say what your cpu speed is or what you CPU_NB speed and HT Link speed are but normally speeds beyond DDR3-2000 only show performance increase in a benchmark of some sort. Maxxmem2 or maybe Aida64 (for pay) memory test.

I do a lot of video editting in big spurts. IE nothing for a while and then hours of video at one time. I have juggled ram timings to very little effect. I have juggled ram amounts and a real difference noticeable moving from 8G to 16G of ram. 4.5GHz cpu speed is a good spot and not really do I see much difference in reducing render time until hitting 4.8GHz. Same old stair-stepping performance as have seen since the first release of the Bulldozer FX procesors.

Speaking 'only' to the later FX lineup of Vishera processors, I find that it normally takes 'steps' on this order to see much if any change.
IF I am at DDR3-1866 8, 8, 8, 24, 37 it will be roughly equal to DDR3-2066 9, 9, 9, 24, 37. So just maybe for me and my IMC inside my cpus, it takes a jump of about DDR3-200 which is shown as 100Mhz jump in CPUz Memory Tab. NOTICE I say 'roughly equal to' meaning they bench on memory test app at roughly the same memory performance. So for my cpus at seems it takes a full DDR3-200 and the resultant change in ram timings of a full point across the first three timings to see about the same performance. Again for instance I have some DDR3-2133 ram at 9, 10, 9, 27, 39 and some DDR3-2400 ram at 10, 11, 11, 27, 40 and they bench Maxxmem2 at about the same at the same cpu speed and CPU-NB speed.

I will try and say the same thing in another word group. I find that I must increase ram speed by a full DDR3-200 speed and move the ram timings up or down a full (1) ram timing parameter as the ram speed increases or decreases to equal the previous ram benches. That sort of progression is why people who had DDR3-1866 ram at CR8 and moved to DDR3-2133 ram at CR9 saw little increase in performance. I see little difference in my DDR3-2133 at stock settings than I do with my DDR3-2400 at stock settings. Again little difference is my wording. Maybe 2% changes in Maxxmem2 memory test. That is not much. Not enough to see in my daily work.

I have seen a lot of people who are supposedly the 'big-boys' say that high ram speeds are only useful on FX platform with at least 2 bad arse video cards in use. High cpu speeds above 4.8GHz can use some ram speed to the good. High Ram speeds means little if CPU_NB is not raised above +/- 2750MHz.

Now you asked what I would think or do. I stated what I generally see with my cpus. Some FX cpus (not a lot of them) just seem to have a weak IMC and will not follow any preconceived idea of performance of ram. If my ram is at DDR3-1866 9, 9, 9, then I would expect the same general ram performance at DDR3-2133 10, 10, 10 within a normal margin of error of about 2-3% and not enough actually for me to concern myself with unless I ran benches day in and day out for competition. I did such for a few years and no longer see any value to it in my circumstances. Hehehe. 2% might mean something to the top 30 at the 'bot'. Trial and error has been my only friend and compatriot for my own pieces. T&E will only determine what you may see with your own later FX IMC.

Good luck.

RGone...ster.

PS: going back over what I wrote, I would be remiss in NOT mentioning this. Both of my FX-8350s that I run at 4.8GHz daily and bench in the 5.5GHz range are older meaning not less than 16mos old as the newer FX processors seem to have (seem) pretty good IMCs inside the cpus and more easily run DDR3-2400 ram speeds and up. Key is "more" easily. To any real gain? I sincerely doubt any preformance gain will be visible in daily uses, including gaming. END PS.

I had picked them up for my benching rig only:)
With 4GB I'm lucky if I can open a window in win 7.
From what I have read on Woomack's memory testing, keeping the NB & SB as close together had the best score. I have not finished setting it up and tweaking it, but any HARD LEARNED knowledge is greatly appropriated.

Thank You For Your Time
Bowing to a Master

Back