• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 750w Gold enough for xfire R9 280x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sency

Hello everyone

I recently came across a 2nd R9 280x at a cheap price and was wondering how my current psu will hold up. I was going to replace my cpu and mobo at the same time but have not decided on what platform to go with.

Im reading Intel draws less power so im leaning towards an 15 4690k. One other addition I will make too is an SSD. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

System in my sig

Thanks All

Forgot to mention when using PSU Calculator everything came to 668W going with an I5 4690k

Last edited:
Should be fine as long as you don't pump a ton of volts through the cpu and cards

Thanks Janus67

As per PSU calculator coming to 668w, do you think I have enough room for a mild overclock? I won't be overclocking the video cards. In fact I will likely dial them back a bit as my current 280x was artifacting. Dialing it back seems to have fixed it.

2x 280x=500w when running at 100% load with no Oc
955 Be 125w at full load say 150w with a good Oc
4690k 88w at full load and maybe 110w with a good Oc.

You're fine with a 750w Psu, especially if it's a new EVGA gold unit, they are great Psu's, being manufactured by either Super Flower or Seasonic depending on the unit.

I have folded with my 2 280x cards all the way down to a horrid 500 watt ultra psu, with a good 750 watt unit you will be fine.

Back