• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CLOUDY WATERCOOLING TUBING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itsvoogle

Registered
Sup Guys! This is my first build, ive had it over a month now,. at first i was just using Pure distilled water with One Silver coil..i ended getting some residue on the Reservoir, not sure what it was but it seemed to be Algae to me. i dumped it all. and gave it a cleanse with soap and vinegar. I bought The Nuke biocide stuff and some coolant. the mixture is pretty much id say 90% distilled water and the rest is the thermaltake coolant with a few drops of the Biocide and now TWO silver coils. its been maybe two weeks and the tubes are all getting cloudy, even around the silver coils. I cant tell if its some kind of algae or just maybe dematerialized coolant? i have even heard it can be the Biocide or tubing causing this? any recommendations to fix this? :mad:

All Materials are the Stock XSPC kit parts.

XSPC RayStorm D5 Photon AX360 WaterCooling Kit

CPU Waterblock
XSPC Raystorm - Intel/AMD
CPU Block LED Color
White
Reservoir Type
Photon 270mm Tube
Pump Version
XSPC D5 Vario Pump
Fitting Size
7/16" x 5/8"
Compression Fitting Color
Black Chrome Finish
XSPC 120mm Radiator Fans
XSPC 120mm 1200RPM Fan
Reservoir LED Color
White / UV
Tubing
2M (6.5')' Water Tubing - Clear (for 7/16-5/8 fittings ...

Tubing
2M (6.5')' Water Tubing - Clear (for 7/16-5/8 fittings ONLY)

XSPC-KIT-AX360-D5-PHOTON-XSPC-RAYSTORM-INTEL \
\
Mayhems Silver Coil 99.999 Pure Fine Silver X2

PT NUKE Biocide 0.57 ppm copper sulfate 4.1

ThermalTake Bigwater Coolant 1000 UV[/COLOR]

Last edited:
The problem with cloudy tubing is it's probably plasticiser or a bad reaction to the thermaltake coolant, kill coils and PTNuke. You added too much junk into the mix. Just distilled water and a few drops of PTNuke or the silver kill coil that's it. Too many ingredients do not a good soup make.

And off topic, I have no clue what you posted under your post after "All Materials are the Stock XSPC kit parts." so I'm assuming you have an XSPC kit?

Drop the ThermalTake garbage.
Use only the biocide OR the coil, not both.

The problem with cloudy tubing is it's probably plasticiser or a bad reaction to the thermaltake coolant, kill coils and PTNuke. You added too much junk into the mix. Just distilled water and a few drops of PTNuke or the silver kill coil that's it. Too many ingredients do not a good soup make.

And off topic, I have no clue what you posted under your post after " All Materials are the Stock XSPC kit parts."
I agree it's probably plasticiser or the coolant reacting to the PTNuke and Silver.

As everyone already said, the tubing with those kits is known to cloud up, especially when you added all those biocides. I use PrimoChill Advanced LRT, distilled water with a couple drops of dead water and 2 kill coils in my reservoir since I have a long loop but everything is clear as day.

The build up of "Algae" could have been manufacturing debris if the cooling equipment wasn't cleaned properly or at all, prior to install.

I have to throw my small knowledge of water cooling in here before the new guy can screw up.
When you purchased your cooling kit : Did you also get a FILTER for your system??????
Everyone of your water blocks ( CPU / GPU ) contain special channels that where cut into the block ( Right above the CPU / GPU ). These channels are extremely small and can easily get clogged. You had crud running through your water blocks, IMO , after you have drained your system ( You did install a drainage system for easier maintenance????) I would take apart each block ( CPU & GPU ) and clean them. Those channels were designed to remove the heat from the CPU / GPU as quick as possible. If they stay plug, you will receive sub-par cooling compared to when you first installed your cooling system. Just some info that I have learned the hard way from 2 years of water cooling.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

I have to throw my small knowledge of water cooling in here before the new guy can screw up.
When you purchased your cooling kit : Did you also get a FILTER for your system??????
Everyone of your water blocks ( CPU / GPU ) contain special channels that where cut into the block ( Right above the CPU / GPU ). These channels are extremely small and can easily get clogged. You had crud running through your water blocks, IMO , after you have drained your system ( You did install a drainage system for easier maintenance????) I would take apart each block ( CPU & GPU ) and clean them. Those channels were designed to remove the heat from the CPU / GPU as quick as possible. If they stay plug, you will receive sub-par cooling compared to when you first installed your cooling system. Just some info that I have learned the hard way from 2 years of water cooling.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

I do not have any filter installed i wasnt aware there was anything like it? can u direct me to a link or name of filter? what started it all was that when i first installed this. it was ONLY DISTILLED WATER and ONE silver COIL..but after a day or two weird gunk started accumulating on the bottom of my reservoir. it looked weird to me it seemed like algae but i have no clue..this is what made me buy the Nuke stuff and the coolant i heard it can create a toxic environment for anything to grow....

As everyone already said, the tubing with those kits is known to cloud up, especially when you added all those biocides. I use PrimoChill Advanced LRT, distilled water with a couple drops of dead water and 2 kill coils in my reservoir since I have a long loop but everything is clear as day.

The build up of "Algae" could have been manufacturing debris if the cooling equipment wasn't cleaned properly or at all, prior to install.

before i installed i drained the tubing and radiator with hot distilled water, some pieces of plastic gunk came out...as for the reservoir i admit that was the only thing i didnt clean because i honestly forgot lol....but could that have been all that weird gunk stuff at the bottom of it?

I agree it's probably plasticiser or the coolant reacting to the PTNuke and Silver.

What is Plasticiser? so to be sure i am not supposed to use them all at the same time right ? which one do i use? i already have two silver coils in the tubes...but i fear this isnt enough? what do you recommend?

And off topic, I have no clue what you posted under your post after "All Materials are the Stock XSPC kit parts." so I'm assuming you have an XSPC kit?

Yah im starting to guess that all that mix is a bad idea..but why was it getting all gunky on me? can only distilled water and silver coil be enough?
sorry btw can u see alll the parts now?

I do not have any filter installed i wasnt aware there was anything like it? can u direct me to a link or name of filter? what started it all was that when i first installed this. it was ONLY DISTILLED WATER and ONE silver COIL..but after a day or two weird gunk started accumulating on the bottom of my reservoir. it looked weird to me it seemed like algae but i have no clue..this is what made me buy the Nuke stuff and the coolant i heard it can create a toxic environment for anything to grow....

Here is a link so that you know what you are looking for : http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30...quid_Cooling_Safety-Liquid_Filters-Page1.html

Frozen CPU might be undergoing a SENIOR management change or have closed there doors for good...... Right now we don't know. Performance PC has pick up a lot of Frozen CPU's business : http://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/shopby/misc-watercool-accy--filter/

The filter picks up all that nasty gunk floating in your system. BE WARNED : have an easy way to detach, clean, and reattach the filter because it will get clogged trying to clean your system from all that gunk.
From my knowledge : here is a easy way to make a drainage system for your cooling loop. At the lowest area in your cooling loop, before it goes back up to your radiator, place a plastic Y connecter. From the plastic Y connector ( less than $3 ) (1) ONE line will continue your loop. The 2nd line will end in a drain port ( Phobya G1/4" Knurled Mini Valve ) $9.99 that has a handle so you can drain your system when ever you need. The cost of this knowledge for me was (3) SERVER motherboards with spilled coolant on them as I tried to remove the tubing from a connector to drain my system.
The Mini Valve has (2) two G1/4 connectors, so when it's time to clean, you connect one of your extra connectors to it and some extra tubing. You can run the tubing straight into the empty bottle that you used to first fill your system with. NO FUSS / NO MUSS.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I might be a little late responding, as I'm fighting Leukemia, But I will try to find the answer to help you.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

Last edited:
A filter isn't really needed since they add resistance to the loop but as long as you go through rounds of rinsing and doing the "radiator dance" as we call it. When I added a 480mm radiator almost a year ago, I did about 12-15 rad rinses with distilled water and still had some debris coming out but less and less each time around till it seemed it was in the clear.

Stick with just distilled water and a silver kill coil or dead water.

Plasticizer is buildup from the break up of the tubing. Just make sure you're using PrimoChill Advanced LRT as any issue of plasticizer should vanish. You'll most likely have to break down your loop and clean out your rads, blocks, reservoir and pump just in case there are traces of plasticize or debris.

AFAIK, the reservoir has been revamped. They had issues with some reservoirs where the res would warp and spring a leak. I remember when the issues came up a year + ago if I recall correctly. Since than I haven't heard anything as of late of the same issue.

Here is a link so that you know what you are looking for : http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30...quid_Cooling_Safety-Liquid_Filters-Page1.html

Frozen CPU might be undergoing a SENIOR management change or have closed there doors for good...... Right now we don't know. Performance PC has pick up a lot of Frozen CPU's business : http://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/shopby/misc-watercool-accy--filter/

The filter picks up all that nasty gunk floating in your system. BE WARNED : have an easy way to detach, clean, and reattach the filter because it will get clogged trying to clean your system from all that gunk.
From my knowledge : here is a easy way to make a drainage system for your cooling loop. At the lowest area in your cooling loop, before it goes back up to your radiator, place a plastic Y connecter. From the plastic Y connector ( less than $3 ) (1) ONE line will continue your loop. The 2nd line will end in a drain port ( Phobya G1/4" Knurled Mini Valve ) $9.99 that has a handle so you can drain your system when ever you need. The cost of this knowledge for me was (3) SERVER motherboards with spilled coolant on them as I tried to remove the tubing from a connector to drain my system.
The Mini Valve has (2) two G1/4 connectors, so when it's time to clean, you connect one of your extra connectors to it and some extra tubing. You can run the tubing straight into the empty bottle that you used to first fill your system with. NO FUSS / NO MUSS.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I might be a little late responding, as I'm fighting Leukemia, But I will try to find the answer to help you.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

Few ever need a filter, it's not needed. I never used one, never had an issue.

Did you purchase the XSPC kit that has the bay reservoir that uses a single D5 Variant pump????? The one in question is the XSPC Raystorm EX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ D5 Variant Pump. If it looks like this kit : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ded_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c321s1310. PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS. The Reservoir has a major design flaw.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post

The Pump i have is the Xspc Photon D5 270 D5 vario pump

A filter isn't really needed since they add resistance to the loop but as long as you go through rounds of rinsing and doing the "radiator dance" as we call it. When I added a 480mm radiator almost a year ago, I did about 12-15 rad rinses with distilled water and still had some debris coming out but less and less each time around till it seemed it was in the clear.

Stick with just distilled water and a silver kill coil or dead water.

Plasticizer is buildup from the break up of the tubing. Just make sure you're using PrimoChill Advanced LRT as any issue of plasticizer should vanish. You'll most likely have to break down your loop and clean out your rads, blocks, reservoir and pump just in case there are traces of plasticize or debris.

Is there any way to clean the tubing to make it clear again? Whats a good method of cleaning the system? What do you use?

Is there any way to clean the tubing to make it clear again? Whats a good method of cleaning the system? What do you use?

Throw it out. These kits, if not almost all kits come with crap tubing honestly. Buy a retail box of PrimoChill Advanced LRT and call it a day. Have some extras for human error, etc.

Back