• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice, best value folding card/noise power in consideration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQuadFather

Recently got back into folding, have a spare pcie x4 in my main systems board, what card could you guys recommend for a good PPD, been out the game so long I don't know what's the best right now, I don't mind buying used but no Fermi cards as my room is warm enough as it is! I have a few cards in mind but would love to hear your suggestions

Thanks for your time

The various versions of the GTX 970 can yields over 300k PPD. It has a relatively low heat production, and low energy consumption while doing that production.

I have a Evga GTX 970 FTW running on Ubuntu which yield between 325K - 335K PPD.
Right now in a room with an ambient temperature of 23.5 degrees Celsius, it is showing 53 degrees Celsius (only a 30 degree difference at a low fan speed).

Budget is flexible, you pay for what you get, the 970 would be at the top end on the scale, Maxwell still fold good under windows? As itd be in my daily (7 ultimate sp1)

If the 970 is in your price range then absolutely go for it.

When I ran my GTX 970 under Windows 7, it got more core 15 WUs than core 17 WUs; so it was only doing about 100K PPD. That is less than 1/3 what I'm getting running Ubuntu, where it only gets core 17 WUs.

exactly, farwalker2u, in ubuntu I'm getting 320.000 or so ppd.
I get about 100,000 ppd with a 280x in win7 about the same with the 970, but the 970 is lower wattage so costs less to run, adds less heat to the house and is quiet.

exactly, farwalker2u, in ubuntu I'm getting 320.000 or so ppd.
I get about 100,000 ppd with a 280x in win7 about the same with the 970, but the 970 is lower wattage so costs less to run, adds less heat to the house and is quiet.

Caddi, I'm getting about 150,000 ppd per 280X card I have. Win 7 and 14.9 drivers.

Linux is key to maximize GTX970 PPD. Otherwise even under Windows it's still one of the best W/PPD cards.

even my 770's and 760's seem to perform better under linux, but the 970 still smokes them.

Back