• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good, free firewalls.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Looking to replace my current firewall, Agnitum Outpost.
It thinks it's Vista, asks a bunch of questions all the time for simple things like speedfan loading and now, won't let some programs access the web even though they are allowed. :bang head

I was thinking about Comodo, but I was also thinking of *actually* using the built in Windows firewall :escape:

I also have Avast! installed, free of course so no firewall there...
What do you guys use? Any suggestions?
Thanks! \ :D /

lol quite a list bobby :p

I narrowed it down to just 66 with some filtering! :D

Isn't cnet's download site full of malware/bundled applications? I don't think I would trust a single download from there.

Isn't cnet's download site full of malware/bundled applications? I don't think I would trust a single download from there.
Don't know if it has Maleware but it does try to put a bunch of crap on your rig when using it. I haven't touched a download from there in a long time because of it.

^^^sounds like its full of dubious adware then.

It was just the first comprehensive list that showed up.

always best to grab software from the home sites. in particular security programs of any kind.

plenty of opportunity to get your adware, malware, pup`s and viruses from the rest of the internet later :D

my tip get yourself a boat load of tracking protection. blocks ads and flash stuff well.

no flying blind with your pants down... stay frosty :salute:

on a side note I heard that most people have droid apps that track you roughly once every three minutes. :-/ make me a little tin foil hat for my phone too :rofl:

ingredients would be some ferrite polymer, adhesive foil wrap and fine copper mesh... put it in that lot and your off grid for the duration. ;)

doubt it dissuades aliens though :shock:

lol

What about pfsense? :p

I just run MSE w/ Windows Firewall and use safe browsing habits. I've been virus free for over 3 years :)

Majorgeeks firewall list, no crap added, tested clean, warned on the info page about any crap added by the makers: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/categories/firewalls.html

With the Windows firewall, even though it's 'disabled' when a 3rd party alternative is installed, it might still be partly operational/blocking. If you suspect *something* is blocking a program, re-enable the Windows firewall, reboot and then test the software again - if you get a firewall popup, then it could be an issue with the program installer routine or with your 3rd party firewall. Once allowed in the buit -in firewall, it can again be disabled and, after a reboot, your 3rd party firewall should work as intended.

Majorgeeks firewall list, no crap added, tested clean, warned on the info page about any crap added by the makers: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/categories/firewalls.html

With the Windows firewall, even though it's 'disabled' when a 3rd party alternative is installed, it might still be partly operational/blocking. If you suspect *something* is blocking a program, re-enable the Windows firewall, reboot and then test the software again - if you get a firewall popup, then it could be an issue with the program installer routine or with your 3rd party firewall. Once allowed in the buit -in firewall, it can again be disabled and, after a reboot, your 3rd party firewall should work as intended.

It wasn't windows firewall this time surprisingly. I disabled the service to ensure it doesn't load ad interfere :D

Thanks for the firewall list too. I think I'm going to try the built in firewall and maybe windows firewall control from majorgeeks as well.

It wasn't windows firewall this time surprisingly. I disabled the service to ensure it doesn't load ad interfere :D
Well, if the Service is disabled, any software programmed to punch holes through it is likely to fail. UAC and networking/Workgroup settings can also run interference, as can any remnants left from previous 3rd party firewalls/suites.

Well, if the Service is disabled, any software programmed to punch holes through it is likely to fail. UAC and networking/Workgroup settings can also run interference, as can any remnants left from previous 3rd party firewalls/suites.

This is true, and it's happened many a time to me before, but for once it was just Agnitum Outpost being dumb and blocking the program. I disabled outpost and voila! Program has interwebz :comp:

I enabled Windows firewall and set outpost to allow all. That should let windows firewall get all comfy with my programs before I give outpost the boot.

Sounds like you're good to go - back to the built-in firewall would be my recommendation :)

Sophos Firewall / Security software is awesome. The home license is free to use also!

Firewalls PFFFT.
UTM... Google it; Learn; Build a UTM.

What about pfsense? :p

I just run MSE w/ Windows Firewall and use safe browsing habits. I've been virus free for over 3 years :)

:shock:

Bold Italic Underlined == why you have had no virus...

Every single person I have seen with crypto-locker ran MSE.

EVERY.
SINGLE.
ONE.

back on topic
PfSence
pfSence
or pfSence.

Also consider Smoothwall or learn Cisco get a router and set up Zone Base Firewall.

pfSence/Smoothwall can run snort and integrate into reactive firewalls aka IDS/IPS. Personally I have the following on my lab:
Cisco2811-ZBF (6-IPs) --> pfSence -->Cisco3725-ZBF-->Cisco2811-ZBF/Cisco2620xm-ZBF (Site1/Site2 with VPN link)

(My Cisco lab stub runs off a couple(10 ;) ) serial/FR interfaces connected to the 3725, colleagues use this remotely, ZBF prevents access to my other routers)

Inside Site1 I have a second pfSence as a VM between the DMZ and servers/My PCs.
I'm also running full routing protocols inside so I can see what does what on each firewall.

Real-life(tm)(A Technical Manager Living with a UTM)
Me: hum... that email, there's a virus on the guest network; system name and IP. Oh and its windows 8 should be easy to find.
FIND LAPTOP
Me: That laptop has a virus.
Company 2IC: No it can't its 24 hours old its in for office install.
Me: That laptop has a virus.
Company 2IC: um... or? Why?
Me: UTM
Company 2IC.... blank
Me: does it have AV?
Company 2IC: MSE?
Me: please install AV...

Time passes...

Company 2IC: It had a virus. Sorry.

Cisco........

I suppose I could *actually* use what I learned in college.
Pfsense, I have currently no other rig that is capable of running it, though I have looked into pfsense many many times before.
Trouble is, I have no available rig to install Pfsense or Smoothwall on :(
Good tips though, much better than any software can provide :thup:

I will definitely keep both options in mind when I acquire more hardware.

But yeah, no MSE here. Avast! ftw :D

You can put together a 1 U UTM with a small SSD and 4GB ram for not to much. Think my total cost was £210 (case atom+board ram PSU SSD) Case will never ware out atom should last a while, my Smoothwall box ran on a PIII 1Ghz 2GB ram for years and years and years and, well you get the point.
Power use should be <30W.
IDS on a Cisco requires a licence to D.L. the IDS definitions.

Back