• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID Controller for 4 x SSD drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, I trying to put together 4 x SSD drives in RAID 0. I currently have 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD in RAID 0. I'm a GIS programmer and I work with modifying and create large geospatial datasets. I would like to add another 2 Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drives. I would like to split up the SSD up but I do sometimes have to handle datasheets larger than 1GB. I'm currently using the Marvell controller on my motherboard for my 2x SSD drives. Would that be enough to handle 4 SSDs in a RAID0? Thanks for any suggestions.

David

PS My signature is incorrect. I no longer have the 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD.

knowing what motherboard you have helps... further im confused why ur using the marvell controller vs the intel controller for your raid setup...

Update your Sig! You can type it's not accurate but didn't change it? Lol!

Anyway, you should be using the Intel controller, period. The Marvell controller is a lot slower. That said, I'd get a card as at least if you upgrade Motherboards, you can keep the array.

Hi, I updated my signature. I have my 3 x WDC Black 4TB RAID 5 on my Intel sata slots. I thought my Marvel sata ports had 4 connections but it only has two. I decided not to do the 4 SSD Raid 0. I really don't want to invest in a new motherboard or controller. Currently I have the Gigabyte Gaming GT Z97.

I'm going to sell my two Samsung PRO 512 SSDs and get two Samsung EVO 1TB ssds. I know they might be a little slower but it will still provide the performance I need. Thanks.

David

I would put whatever needs the ssd speed on the Intel ports as they are a lot faster. It's not something you will notice on a boot drive, but will with your data. Those Marvell ports are putting a glass ceiling on those drives...

Ok, thanks for the advice. Would it be OK to put my 3x RAID 5 HDDs on the same Intel ports? The Marvell controller only has two. Thanks.

David

I do not believe you can mix raid modes on different drives, no. You should be able to get a cheap add card for R5 though (a lot cheaper than what would have been recommended for raiding the SSDs).

You can set RAID0/1 on SSD + RAID5 on HDD using Intel controller. It will be also better idea than set anything on Marvell controller.

In the specs you can also see this:
"Due to system limitation, Intel RAID and Marvell RAID can only use either one."

and this:
"SATA Express and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time."

I'm not sure how it affects 2 raids on 5 drives on this motherboard but every 5/6/7/8 chipset series was working fine with up to 6 drives.

Back