• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some guidance please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catkicker

Over the last few years work and other commitments have pulled me away from computers. It's now time to build a computer for my daughter. As is customary I will be passing my AMD quad core to my wife and her Intel dual core will be going to my daughter. That leaves me with :D yes a new build.
I have a i5 3470 and I have some of my other components.
Where I need some guidance is with the motherboard
I will always go for video cards near the upper middle end of the hierarchy and ATI or Nvidia is fine, i'm out of the extreme cooling & OC'ing routines
So I want to look solid strong performing motherboards. I've been one to use gigabyte, Asus, MSI and at one time was a die hard DFI guy.
So any suggestions for me to go out and research would be great.

That AsRock Extreme 4 board has known issues with the Ram slots.

Do a quick google search on this.

I'd go with an Asus board......

I second the z77 ex4.

I can Google any error on any board and get hits. Never heard of that as a major issue with this board.

Well mine got rma for it.

But hey you guys know more about the board I used. Luckily its not my purchase problem.

Because one board makes it an issue across the rest of the same? I can't say I subscribe to that logic. But If I did, wouldn't the one board I used debunnk that theory? I'm not trying to be an arse, and I apologize you had troubles, but, I haven't seen this a problem with the Ex4 itself (I could be wrong, but links supporting that it is a major issue on the line would help - and not anecdotal links that I can find on any board when googling). Regardless, a warning is appreciated. :)

Earthdog, I did some research. Wouldnt give the warning if I hadnt read half a dozen different forums that every one of them said to rma the darn thing.

In fact I did a de lid on a 3570k for a guys name I wont mention cause he tried to pin this issue on me. When I confronted him about it, not only is he using the same board with the same problem, I had to dig it out of him that The issue was there before I ever touched his cpu. ls A member of this forum as well. Never the less, it makes me not want to do this service for any one else ever again, also lost moneys on shipping helping a fella out.... Not that its relevant to this thread. Just saying...

Have owned a few dozen Asus boards. I must be super duper lucky or something cause every one of them lasted past warranty. Although I do know **** happens, I,m only trying to help protect a new comer to this very forum.

If I need to catch flak for Helping out, I from now on will just keep my mouth shut.

You are not catching flak, just being asked to support an assertion. I google it too and didn't find anything that would scare me away. It was why I was asking for some support... perhaps I missed something. ;)

In fact I did a de lid on a 3570k for a guys name I wont mention cause he tried to pin this issue on me. When I confronted him about it, not only is he using the same board with the same problem, I had to dig it out of him that The issue was there before I ever touched his cpu. ls A member of this forum as well. Never the less, it makes me not want to do this service for any one else ever again, also lost moneys on shipping helping a fella out.... Not that its relevant to this thread. Just saying...
I totally understand. That's why I very rarely do bios mod requests anymore. Depends on who you are.

What would you buy for an 1155 board?

Thanks for the link, was looking for a littme more than what I already did... No matter though!

Extreme 6 in that case. :p

I still vote Asus.

Extreme 6. Yea that's a good contender. haven't heard many issues with that or the 9 either.

Since I'm from ExtremeOverClockingForums.com..... I've always like buying into the biggest baddest motherboard I could sink my moneys into.... Haha from Asus.

To most, budgets matter a great deal as the American dolla really doesn't go as far as it used to...

Personally I would inquire to OP what he might really need from a board. Does he need 2 or 4 PCI-E slots? Perhaps extra USB ports? Room for sound and raid cards and so on......

I still vote Asus.

Extreme 6. Yea that's a good contender. haven't heard many issues with that or the 9 either.

Since I'm from ExtremeOverClockingForums.com..... I've always like buying into the biggest baddest motherboard I could sink my moneys into.... Haha from Asus.

To most, budgets matter a great deal as the American dolla really doesn't go as far as it used to...

Personally I would inquire to OP what he might really need from a board. Does he need 2 or 4 PCI-E slots? Perhaps extra USB ports? Room for sound and raid cards and so on......

I vote for ASUS as well. God forbid anyone suggest a board that isn't Asrock on this site and they come out of the woodwork to attack you lol. Oh well ASUS has been amazing for me and my 15 years of building rigs. I've only had to RMA one ASUS board that got hit by lightning and was painless.

Sorry, ASRock has the best bang for the buck in a lot of cases, hence the frequent recommendations. That said, I do take exception to the word 'attack' though...lol

Why pay more for the same, or sometimes an inferior, product is my take. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, ASRock has the best bag for the buck in a lot of cases, hence the frequent recommendations.

Why pay more for the same or sometimes an inferior product is my take. ;)

Some people have different views on hardware and have had great experiences with particular manufacturers. You obviously have with Asrock and that's great. I have and countless others with ASUS. The point is you should be able to respect an opinion and LOL at inferior. Asrock was known for years as a budget brand, but whatever, I'm not taking your bait to argue for the sake of arguing, again.

I'm not baiting you to argue, Bishoff :)screwy:). I was defending that stance of why ASRock to your post. Don't make something out of nothing. ;)

I am not saying ASUS is inferior, they are not, they are a GREAT brand (like ASRock, Giga, MSI). However, at the same price point, there are offerings from others that may have more/better features for the same price... hence an inferior product (for the price).

I respect people's opinion. I was simply asking Shrimpy for some support on his assertion of the bad DIMM slots as I haven't heard of it before. I wouldn't want to recommend a bad board, would I? I know shrimpy is knowledgeable and perhaps I should have taken him at his word, but, since this is the internet, I feel like I have an idea of things in this 'world' I asked for some support, to learn.

Back