• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swapping bios from different vendors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Is this a recipe for disaster or would it work?

edit: fwiw I am running an xfx reference design and updated the bios to the xfx double dissipation bios. Actually fixed a lot of issues.

It works. I do it all the time. Be prepared for the occasional failure. Sometimes different vendors use different vram timings and not all cards might like them.

I did this successfully while mining. However I would only do this to a card that has dual bios to make sure you don't brick it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 290s switch from "quiet" to "uber" counts for this right?

I'd like to try the vision tek 290 bios, but that one would be on the more extreme side of things.

The quiet and uber depend on the maker also. I have a Diamond ref 290x and after contacting their "support" about any vbios update to speed up fan profiles they said that their versions don't differ from one position or the other. I have mine flashed to the xfx bios on one and ref on other and it's been working great with default clocks at 1050/1250 and 1200/1400 for benching. Like someone said a couple posts ago, just going to have to try and see what works, I went through about 7 diff bios before I settled on the xfx as I had different issues with each lol. Good luck on the hunt.

Back