• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static from speakers with hard drive activity and moving the mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crb806

I just put a new system together with the specs below and I'm having an issue where the speakers will give me a high pitch static noise when I move the mouse or there is hard drive activity even with Windows sound muted. I've tried plugging the mouse in the front and using the audio out on my monitor, but still had the static. I can turn the knob on the back of each of the speakers down until the static is low enough not to be heard and adjust my windows volume to compensate, but on my other build I could leave the speakers at max with no issues.
GIGABYTE z97n-wifi
4790K 16GB CorsairPlatinum
AX 760i PSU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
850 EVO 1TB SSD
I tried with M-AUDIO BX5 D2 and JBL LSR305 speakers. I bought a USB sound card, but that didn't resolve the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Have you tried a different power outlet for the speakers?

Are you using any other equipment besides the speakers?
Amp? DAC? Etc?

You've tried both front and rear audio ports on the computer?

Are you using any other equipment besides the speakers?
Amp? DAC? Etc?

You've tried both front and rear audio ports on the computer?

No amp or DC. I did try both rear and front with no change.

I'm thinking the issue is on the speaker/power side and not the signal side, personally.

Bits are bits crew wont guide you so well here. :D

Galvanic isolation, EMF and RFI advice you should seek out elsewhere. :)

if you can drop in a optical cable then that may be a cheap way to cure 80% of the noise issue. silly money cures the rest :D

Brilliant. I would have never thought of that as it reminds me of car stereo installs. I'm guessing you don't use a UPS either.

Back