• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to prevent someone from trying to use *your* email as their Facebook email?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
If you have a common name as your Gmail address for example, if someone, anyone, uses that email (usually by mistake) to try to use it as their Facebook email, and they then of course realize oh wait my Gmail is slightly different, that's not my Gmail account, they go ahead and change it... but meanwhile you get spammed by Facebook to kingdom come about notifications for that account only because that moro.. person made a mistake.

Facebook FAQ specifically addresses this problem by telling you to simply click on 'unsubscribe'.

Well who wants to do this multiple times? You would think they would use some verification process to verify email before beginning the onslaught of Facebook emails.
I mean, what's going on, you add any email you want and that email gets all the notifications about your Facebook account with Facebook not caring to verify whether that email actually belongs to that person? Is there a mandatory verification request of some sort that would stop this?

I don't use Facebook so I guess I could blanket block Facebook, and I'll do that but what if I was and wanted to get notifications from my account only without being spammed about someone else's account?

So there`s some percentage of friendfacers out there that don't even know there own email :sly:
seems to fit the profile :D

It really wants you... conform to the norm ;)
do a spot of self profiling... you can poke into the lives of folk you've not seen for twenty years... talk about what you've just eaten. debate popular culture... the pointlessness is endless :D

use your email to sign up then close your account... may stop other dippy folk from hassling you with there failed sign up attempts.

unfortunate that google+ and facebook is some kind of given in this age... every game and app on the planet expects you to connect the social dots.

I remember many eons ago using ICQ and the statement "I eat babies" really got some righteous strangers on my back. :rofl:

plan B - block it at router level.

sure the messages should vanish over time... last I knew they had to verify with a phone number and such... :shrug:

Back