• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing different ram brands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Then just leave it be, you should be fine. If you start having issues with freezing or bluescreens though, the first thing I'd do is set the Tras time to 25 and the trc to 37 in the BIOS.

The easiest fix would be to match the Crucial and G Skill timings completely. You didn't say what motherboard you have. Some motherboards will allow you to set the timings for memory A and memory B separately, while others will only give you (1) one.

IE : 9-9-9-24 2T ( This is the basic) the row cycle time ( The G Skill can run @ 37 BUT the Crucial can not run @ 33)
The Write Recovery Time ( Again which ever value is higher - 10,12,or 14)
The Row Refresh Cycle Time ( This is 90,110,160,300,350) This should fall in @ 300ns for both G Skill and Crucial but I would check to be sure. I have 2 x 4Gb DDR3 1600 Corsair XMS memory that run @ 110ns.

I hope this helps some

The easiest fix would be to match the Crucial and G Skill timings completely. You didn't say what motherboard you have. Some motherboards will allow you to set the timings for memory A and memory B separately, while others will only give you (1) one.

IE : 9-9-9-24 2T ( This is the basic) the row cycle time ( The G Skill can run @ 37 BUT the Crucial can not run @ 33)
The Write Recovery Time ( Again which ever value is higher - 10,12,or 14)
The Row Refresh Cycle Time ( This is 90,110,160,300,350) This should fall in @ 300ns for both G Skill and Crucial but I would check to be sure. I have 2 x 4Gb DDR3 1600 Corsair XMS memory that run @ 110ns.

I hope this helps some

Hey maddmutt . my board is MAXIMUS VI HERO . If I get the timings sorted out id also like to push 1800 mhz but i,ll worry about the mhz later .

Mike can you add a signature, with your Pc and components please. It is a helpful courtesy so we know exactly what we are dealing with when trying to help you. Thanks.

With that MAXIMUS VI HERO motherboard, you should have no problem on getting them to work together.

I have a EK Ram water block($50 for 4 slot cooler) and EK Ram spreaders for water cooling ($25 per pair).
I have 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 water cooled ( CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B ) 9-9-9-24
I have been able to OC them to DDR3 2104 @ 9-11-9-27, so there is a tangible reason for cooling your memory.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post.

With that MAXIMUS VI HERO motherboard, you should have no problem on getting them to work together.

I have a EK Ram water block($50 for 4 slot cooler) and EK Ram spreaders for water cooling ($25 per pair).
I have 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 water cooled ( CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B ) 9-9-9-24
I have been able to OC them to DDR3 2104 @ 9-11-9-27, so there is a tangible reason for cooling your memory.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading My Post.
no sir...

The board type does not really help,with mixing ram. You have matching sticks as well, so,completely different.

Even when over clocking they don't need cooled...

Last edited:
If you are mixing memory then put slower memory in the first slots so board will use them as base for all modules. Slower in this case means that sub timings will have higher values ( you can check it in BIOS XMP profile window or in windows CPUZ/AIDA64/MemTweakIt or other soft ).
Both kits will probably run fine at 1600 but if I'm right there is one Micron based kit and one which will be probably something else ( high chance on Hynix ) so you may need to adjust some sub timings.

If you are mixing memory then put slower memory in the first slots so board will use them as base for all modules. Slower in this case means that sub timings will have higher values ( you can check it in BIOS XMP profile window or in windows CPUZ/AIDA64/MemTweakIt or other soft ).
Both kits will probably run fine at 1600 but if I'm right there is one Micron based kit and one which will be probably something else ( high chance on Hynix ) so you may need to adjust some sub timings.

Where can I adjust the timings in bios . I only see timings for Primary memory . theres secondary memory which is set to auto
11101536_948394875220244_2144296254_n.jpg 11136947_948394891886909_343932613_n.jpg 11139865_948394865220245_23112724_n.jpg

If you set it to manual, do you then get options to change those values?

Mike... be daring, try to play a bit before asking some questions! You can't bork anything if you don't save it. :)

Or honestly, there's almost no reason to overclock the memory, the performance gains are so minimal outside of benchmarks.

Where can I adjust the timings in bios . I only see timings for Primary memory . theres secondary memory which is set to auto
View attachment 162391

3rd photo shows timing list - all under auto can be adjusted if you know how to do it. Usually you don't have to change anything unless there are some compatibility/stability issues. In normal work, like Janus said there is barely any difference in performance.

3rd photo shows timing list - all under auto can be adjusted if you know how to do it. Usually you don't have to change anything unless there are some compatibility/stability issues. In normal work, like Janus said there is barely any difference in performance.
Thanks guys. I guess I'll hold back from over clocking the ram

Back