• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

halp! gpu overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tons-of-fun

Registered
system
ASrock 970 extreme3 R2.0
FX 4130 3.9ghz am3+
4 gb team elite ddr3 ram
HIS IceQ X² R9 270x
win 8.1 64 bit

all settings are factory no overclocking done yet.
computer has been running fine for several weeks playing skyrim cs:go ect. installed guild wars2 and plays fine the first time. a few days later i play again and GPU artifacts then crashes.

tried a few more times and crashes each time. has no problems running valley benchmark test with high settings and AAx2 and x4 on 1080 resolution. all drivers are up to date.

i downloaded furmark to test gpu and the temps shoot up to 80C and the fan speeds maybe make it up to 50% before it crashes. cpu and ambient temps of case stay in 36-42C

Im not sure whats going on but i tried to use msi afterburn fan speed curve and that does nothing to fan speed but i can manually set gpu fans to higher speed and that does work.

only problem is now artifacting is happening in desktop, screen flickering and basically display is just freaking out. what do you guys think?

Sounds like you killed it with Furmark to me, which is why I recommend to never use it

try removing the gpu and reinstalling it.
tell us about your psu please, with this rig you dont need a monster but if it's 5 years old or more we might want to test it.

I would try reinstalling drivers or as CD said, re-seat the GPU (or both) before I write off the GPU as cooked.

Sounds like it could be power delivery problem. Either Something on the card is toast or you PSU is starting to struggle.
What kind of PSU you have and how old is it? Driver sweep and reinstall is something to try out.
If your PSU or drivers isn't the problem it could be just a bad card and you should RMA it.

PSU is thermaltake R2 600W. the computer is less than a year old. I will try driver sweep because i did notice a message pop up that says the drivers stopped working but has recovered. if that fails ill get a can of air and blow out the pcie slot and reseat before I RMA. Thank you all for your quick replies i will update as soon as i figure it out.

Furmark is a 'power virus' for whatever reason. NVIDIA and AMD(I think) said not to use it. They actually programmed in throttling for it...

Not a good test.

That is... not a good PSU. I'd try a decent one if possible and see if that fixes things. I'd be less willing to think furmark killed the card since the drivers should throttle it than I would that a bad PSU is causing you problems.

Hey guys happy to update re-installing drivers fixed the over heating and crashing issues. There seems to be some concerns about some of the hardware I'm using, this was only very budget price vs performance minded person. do you have suggestions for efficient upgrades that I should keep my eyes open for?

I'd definitely replace the power supply sooner than later. Something like a ~500W Seasonic-built unit or a Rosewill Capstone PSU would be a decent replacement.

Back