• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop as Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hello I've found an informations that it's possible to share WI-FI signal from laptop to other WI-fi devices.
It looks like this:

Wi-fi Signal=> Laptop as router => Other WI-fi devices

Can i setup it little more complicated way, like:

Wi fi signal===> Laptop as router _____> Kable connection + WI fi devices ?

I' am asking for this solution, because my Wi-fi USB in PC is damaged, and I'm trying for solution with "kable"

Seeing as how no one has responded yet, I'll will put in my own $2.50 to this question.

While it is possible to share the network via WiFi, in order for your laptop to serve as a router, it would require at least 1 WiFi network to be dedicated for that purpose. You cannot use the same WiFi component to also access the network from your laptop. Since most laptops also have a network jack, the easiest solution would be to go from your Internet Connection -> Network Cable (Cat5e for example) -> Laptop setup as a router -> Laptops WiFi adapter setup as a Access point for the rest of the wireless network.

Back