• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adobe Acrobat Reader 2015 DC rdrcef.exe continuously sending info to Amazon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank You

Brand new Adobe Reader 2015 is out and Adobe installs file rdrcef.exe which continuously sends info to Amazon.
Hard blocking rdrcef.exe is therefore a given as the only way to prevent third party servers having contact with our files, but it would be nice if there is a way to disable it in registry or options, please post if/when you find out how.

While it is important for this program to get updated continuously due to obvious security concerns, Adobe appears to have made updating mandatory, taking away our choice between security and stability. Before 2015 DC version just came out, I know for a fact that some version 11 releases, like 11.0.9 was buggy and I did not install it on certain machines with unimportant disposable content on which we need STABILITY more than security, on which we only install updates which have been confirmed as stable on our systems.
So if anyone figures out how to disable automatic updates only, please post.

P.S. Of course there are excellent alternatives like http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/download-free-pdf-viewer.html
but that's not the point of this thread ;)

EDIT: SOLVED:
If you want to use eServices then great, if not, here's the reg file to disable interaction between the files you read and cloud storage:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown\cServices]

"bToggleAdobeDocumentServices"=dword:00000001

"bToggleAdobeSign"=dword:00000001

"bTogglePrefSync"=dword:00000001

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I just tried it and it seemed to work. I admit I was reluctant because I have not done Registry editing for a few years. If something changes and this starts over I will try to let you know.

Back