• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carniex

Registered
i7-5820k
16 gig Ripjaw pc4-24000
EVGA 850 Supernova G2
MSI GTX 980 Gamer G4
Fractal Design Define R5
Noctua NH-D14
Windows 8.1 Pro
Samsung 850 evo 512 gb
MSI X99 Sli plus MB

was almost thinking windows 7 pro
Also looking at NZXT H440 Razer case

Last edited:
What are you using it for? Everything looks pretty good to me if you really need/want X99 although I am not familiar with what motherboards are good. I have the define R4 and love it, I believe the only difference in the R5 is the way the top panel has removable panels and the 5.25 bays are removable

PSU is overkill for the components (unless you plan on getting 2 GPUs - but you could still use a 750W PSU there AND overclock the heck out of everything).

But yeah, why X99? Can you use all the cores?

the 850 is cheaper then the 750 right now. which is why I am getting it. do lots of gaming and mmos someone told me the 5820 will be better for it. Have the money to grab it so figured why not. other chip I was looking for was i7-4790k.

Doubt any game out there is going to use all 6c/12t save yourself some cash and get the 4790k.

Not sure MMO's can use more than 4c/8t, but.......I don't play them. I would confirm it can before spending the premium, but, I'm a pretty cheap guy, LOL! If you can afford and want it, get it. ;)

Where is it cheaper? (not newegg!)

The people that have the chip I know say the chip works great in wow and eq2 for loading lots of the zone at once.hmm wonder if I should just go with 4790k... you know I have been coming here for years and just decided to register the other day.. lots of great people . My first pc I got was in 1987 heh my dad got it from a police deal with computer store

Yeah, and WoW is single threaded. The 4790K will do BETTER at that.

ok ty for the info. gonna change my build .. everyone is awesome here btw. I appreciate the help. Been coming here for years but just reading and haven't joined until the otherday.

Was wanting to do the i7-4790k before then wife went spend whatever ya want and went nuts lol. still gonna get the 980 msi card though lol

case choice is all about what you like, find the one you like the way it looks.
the psu, good quality but 750 or so is all you'll need with a single card, I have the 850, great psu.
z97 or x99, why spend the bucks when z97 will more than get the job done, for you x99 is just eye candy.
operating system, I just don't know...... with 10 comming out soon will microsoft improve 8.1????? is 10 going to be a monthly????
I'll sit on my seven and if 10 goes monthly I'm out and will take up underwater basket weaving for a hobby..........

yeah its me getting 7 or 8.1 caddi.. sending my old computer to my brother. 8.1 is cheaper then 7 which sucks heh. my brother is having money problems so sending my old computer to him it has win 7 pro on it.. was like 2500 bux a couple years ago. Figured instead of buying him a computer would send him mine and get a new one lol

Last edited:
Updated my build
I7-4790K
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo. Know lots that have had great luck with it. May change it if Noctua gets back in stock.
Gigabyte Z97-Gaming GT
16 gig Gskill Ripjaw ddr3-1866
Evga GTX980 ACX2.0 SUPERCLOCKED
EVGA 750 G2 PS
CORSAIR 760T CASE W. NOCTUA 140MM fans to fill other spots
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb hd.
Went with windows 8.1 for now since its cheapest option then free windows 10 upgrade later.
How does this sound. Ready to order it tomorrow.

I'd say save yourself 200$ and get a 970 instead of the 980. Are you gonna tell the difference between 150 fps and 130 fps? (The short answer is "no").

Had good luck instead of the coolermaster 212 evo.. noticed they had nh-d14 on shelf. their website was wrong.. so added that to my build instead heh. I wanted a 15 but long back order from noctua. so happy they had a 14 at least. soon as I saw it said put this in lol

Back