• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MacBook Pro/Air or Ultrabook/Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Xps 13 is a very nice uotrabook. For what it's worth the latitude 7440 is also very nice (and there may be a newer model than that now)

I imagine you can easily disable the touch feature if you don't like that. I hate touch pads myself so I always disable them and go with a wireless mouse instead.

For me, a 13" screen would be too small. But I'm probably older than the rest of you advocating that and my eyes need something bigger for a main work station. The smaller screen would likely extend battery life as long as the battery wasn't also downsized compared to larger equivalent models.

Processor seems to be strong: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-Notebook-Processor.127831.0.html. It's the new Broadwell core.

Well, I need it to be a PORTABLE work station, comfortably fitting into my hand.

At the moment it's between the Dell XPS 13 Non-Touch and Macbook Pro. I am leaning towards Dell though, I feel like I'm going to stay close to home and give Windows 8 and Classic Shell a chance.
I recon It will be hard to find the XPS 13 Non Touch in the wated config (8gb RAM, 256 SSD) though. I've tried almost all major websites (Czech ones) and it's nowhere to be found.
How is it with 4gb RAM and windows 8? Is it enough for standard day to day use?

Honestly, for entirely day-to-day usage that wouldn't involve any games and just office/internet 4GB will be fine.

If you could find with 8 more ram never hurts. Also a touch screen isn't all bad if you can find it for a decent price, I rarely used it when I was test-driving one for work, but some people got used to it and really like it. I just wouldn't spend a premium on it.

Well, I need it to be a PORTABLE work station, comfortably fitting into my hand.

At the moment it's between the Dell XPS 13 Non-Touch and Macbook Pro. I am leaning towards Dell though, I feel like I'm going to stay close to home and give Windows 8 and Classic Shell a chance.
I recon It will be hard to find the XPS 13 Non Touch in the wated config (8gb RAM, 256 SSD) though. I've tried almost all major websites (Czech ones) and it's nowhere to be found.
How is it with 4gb RAM and windows 8? Is it enough for standard day to day use?

Call Dell. They can do custom configurations a lot of times.
My Vostro 3450 was custom configured via their support.

The RAM is soldered in place on the XPS 13 - I'm doubtful about custom configurations and because of lack of being able to upgrade to more RAM later on I'd go with the 8GB/256GB option, even if you have to wait for more stock. I feel that 4GB may not cut it for the rest of the laptop's life.

I agree with Janus67 about 4gb of ram being plenty for ordinary applications but the 128 gb SSD concerns me more. Although, keep in mind that unlike conventional spinner hard drives, SSDs don't start to slow down as they fill up. And you can always swap out data intensive files to an external hard drive now and then.

I will do as much as I can to get the XPS 13, 256Gb SSD + 8GB RAM Non-Touch version. I think I'm going to settle for Dell and live happily with Windows 8. Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
Back