• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so has nVidia kinda went ahead of AMD on the premium GPU market?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
do correct me if I am wrong, I will love to know.

but it appears AMD is no longer actively trying to contend with the GPU crown with nVidia since the Titan.
and instead AMD now refocus for mass production mid-level GPUs instead (which is not a bad business model)

Kinda sad, I would like to see them exchange crowns like they use to in the early 2000s.

bro they stagger releases in a few months amd will drop a gpu that will smoke what nvidia has then nvidia is gonna smoke amd back and fourth, its how it goes mayne. there can almost never be a direct comparison to what is currently released because they just go back and fourth matching and passing eachother.

and I hope they stay at each others throats, good for our performance and pricing.

It depends on what you want. AMD is better for cryptocurrency mining while Nvidia is better for VDPAU video processing. AMD does poorly with efficiency - also applies to their CPUs.

AMD's dual GPU card still holds its own against the current Nvidia lineup, and received a very healthy price cut a couple of months back. AMD are still very competitive on the GPU side of things, and their next generation of cards should be quite a bit more power efficient (according to leaks, at least).

I think the 390x will be a strong card, however efficient would not be one of the words I would use to describe it.

Will it be enough to compete with a Titan X ?

Only time will tell

I think the 390x will be a strong card, however efficient would not be one of the words I would use to describe it.

Will it be enough to compete with a Titan X ?

Only time will tell
Exactly. Rumor mill has their 390x coming with an aio water cooler. You don't put one of those on it for giggles, but out if necessity... ;)

They aslo 'exchanged crowns' with the latest gen and prior if I remember correctly...

I guess we all need to wait and see how the 390X will be.
I was a little underwhelmed by the 290/290X last run, though I did get 4x 290X for Crypto mining. (mining is hardly profitable these days, btw).

Then I start trying games on 780 ti vs 290x, which well, I guess there wasn't much competition there.
the only thing that's comparable was benchmarks and that's talking about a very different thermal profile, the 290X wants to heat kill everything.
and the gaming experience goes to 780 TI hands down, from noise to smoothness to .. not crashing after 3 hours.
and that means AMD hadn't really had not had a clear victory nVidia since 7970.. and that's certainly a while ago....

depending on 2xGPU systems is for a single card victory is kinda like conceding if you ask me...

I am not a fan for either companies, I am just sad to see the GPU game being so easy for nvidia for 3-4 years now.

by the way, has microstuttering / random black screen been fixed in the 290X?

Bz, as we just said, they have been trading crowns back and forth for a while really. 290x was single card performance leader, so was 7970...their last two generations at least.

Sure power and heat are different, but, performance wise...its been a trade off really...

Bz, as we just said, they have been trading crowns back and forth for a while really. 290x was single card performance leader, so was 7970...their last two generations at least.
Sure power and heat are different, but, performance wise...its been a trade off really...

While I deeply respect your opinion as I always had, and the some benchmarks may supports you, if you compare 290X with 780, once you put 780 Ti or Titan Black into the equation, (which is same gen) AMD hadn't really traded any 'crowns' at all. So please allow me to respectfully disagree with your conclusion you got there ED.

And just so I speak with a bit more credit. Here are some sources:
3Dmark Firestrike: http://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_-_fire_strike/rankings?cores=1#start=0
Catzilla 1440p : http://hwbot.org/benchmark/catzilla_-_1440p/rankings?cores=1#start=0#interval=20#coolingType=3

This is where i was coming from originally. During the time of 7970, remember when it more so a HANDS DOWN an AMD victory? we hadn't had that for a while now. These days, everything AMD does, Nvidia has matching if not better performance, not to mention superior heat profile and I will argue superior drivers (subjective).

I guess I will allow the 390X to wow me if you are still faithful to their product. Though I feel this Nvidia win has been going for too long... I sure hope to see AMD shows us a new generation of absolute win like the 7970 has back then.

Let me be more clear...

290x was released first and held the crown for months, then came NVIDIA response with another card in that gen. Same with 7970. It's normally always been 'he who releases second takes the performance crown' As the other company has time to tweak clocks and gather appropriate yields. Then the other company responds with a similar card and chances are, the price drops.

Rinse and repeat. The big question to me is who is first and who is responding. ;)

EDiT: also, amd has the 295x2 to which NVIDIA does not have an answer to, so, including all cards, particularly in the context of tbe thread title, doesn't amd still have the crown?

Last edited:
I will just pretend my comments about random black screens, over heating etc doesn't exist and agree with the statement that 290x had a temp crown between 24th October to 7th November that year. (I won't really call that months.. not even weeks... but sure.) ref: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/10/28/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-price-and-release/1 ref: https://www.google.com.hk/webhp?sou...&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=r9 290x release date

as for 295x2 being crown, are we really gonna do this? like comparing 2xGPU into 1xGPU cards?
If that is the way we like to compare... I concede. :)

Thread title said premium cards. I assumed the 295x2 fits there. Wasn't trying to sway the subject. ;)

NVIDIA had something waiting in the wings is all. A response, just like I said. Though I thought it was a couple of months, not 2 weeks, between them, lol!

I think there is fairly decent parity between them performance wise. A few percent separated the 780ti and 290x at the same power enveloPe. Nvidia fired off the 9 series and we are waiting for that to land. Meanwhile nvidia will have the 980ti shortly after as a response.

Rinse and repeat. This isn't like the old days with nvidia 2 series and amd 5 series.

Refernce cards had those issues at times. Not so much in aftermarket. But I was speaking on performance as that is what premium means to me in this context.

Driver's and potential card issues are a different subject.

Last edited:
Back