• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey bassnut, I actually asked about this on a different forum too. so in the 'temperature' section, are they essentially saying we need to subtract 20 from our temp readings?

so if Ryzen Master is telling me an idle of 58 C, it's actually 38 C?

confused lol

From the link ......

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically.

I take this to mean just that ..... I just can't for the life of me understand why they would offset the temp like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure what is the point of that but they mentioned something about forcing fans to spin faster but for what when temps are low enough ? Still it explains why 1700 has lower temps reported by software than 1700X/1800X.

I also picked up the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO AM4 bracket from Microcenter since there's no telling when the "free" $7 one will ever be shipped by Cooler Master. With that, I was able to get the 1700X to 4 GHz @ 1.425V but it got super hot after a Prime95 session - 95C!!

So thanks to this new info, my 95C in Prime95 is only 75C which makes me feel a lot better. I couldn't understand why my 1700X was so much hotter than my two 1700s and now I know it isn't. Odd that AMD wouldn't simply subtract the 20C from the Ryzen Master temp display so users would get a correct reading.

What is being said regarding the temperature for the 1700X and 1800X:

- The maximum tCase is 75°C
- Ryzen Master reports +20°C from tCase
- Ryzen Master maximum temperature is 95°C

From the link ......

I take this to mean just that ..... I just can't for the life of me understand why they would offset the temp like that.

Honestly, it would help tcase stay under 75C to ensure it boosts with XFR as much as possible. Atleast with the fan thing, it's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Honestly, it would help tcase stay under 75C to ensure it boosts with XFR as much as possible. Atleast with the fan thing, it's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

This is exactly what they're doing, boosting the fan profile.

I don't think the temp reading issues all lie with the the way AMD implements things either. I got my replacement CHVI yesterday and flashed the new BIOS to it. The temps were way off when I started to OC. What I mean is that at stock I was getting mid 40s in idle. After bumping the multi up 200 and setting manual 1.2v I was getting idle in the 30s. Raja recommended a Sense MI skew of 272 which is their default value but apparently when I started to OC it must change that setting when left on auto. I set the skew and then temps "seemed" a bit more normal but I still felt they were low. I swapped to my loop (ambient) and things really didn't change a whole lot dropped maybe 5c. In the end I was running Small FFT at 4.0 , 1.4v and a temp of 70c

Reading all of the input about the temperature vs OC and voltage not doing much in the sense of mitigating, leads me to believe that the Ryzen is a very hungry current caterpillar. Some of you have mentioned that you see your VRM FETs continue to heat up as time goes on, and no additional cooling seems to help prevent it. Sounds like thermal runaway due to high current draw. This can happen when the FET doesn't "close" or "open" all the way allowing for all the current to seep through. Slowly the channel in the gate will relax allowing for current leakage. Current continues to leek into the CPU and into the board, which will ultimately heat up the entire board.

Anyone have a thermal camera? I bet you will see your entire board around the socket slowly heat up while running tests. To say the least that this is normal is true, but with the right cooling a board should never become overheated. However, I believe something else is happening and it looks like you will need a higher amount of cooling to keep these systems happy.

I can tell you on my CHVI last night the VRM HS barely got warm. I have 2x92mm fans that blow across the board on my bench that's it for airflow

I can tell you on my CHVI last night the VRM HS barely got warm. I have 2x92mm fans that blow across the board on my bench that's it for airflow

And that proves the point I was about to edit into my post.

I looked back at some of the posts here, and it seems the issues I mentioned are based off lower end boards of which will utilize lower quality parts. They will definitely be limited by how high you can push the voltage. This is true with just about all systems (Intel or AMD) but I think this will be seen a bit unusual because of the uniqueness of the AMD chips.

And that proves the point I was about to edit into my post.

I looked back at some of the posts here, and it seems the issues I mentioned are based off lower end boards of which will utilize lower quality parts. They will definitely be limited by how high you can push the voltage. This is true with just about all systems (Intel or AMD) but I think this will be seen a bit unusual because of the uniqueness of the AMD chips.

So what you're saying is go big or stay home just like FX. If you want the highend OC you'll need a capable/quality board.

You got it Johan, just like the 9590, these chips seem to love current. Once I get my board I'll be able to tie the VCC and VDD rails into a current monitor at work. There I'll have nice scope shots of current spikes and the like for our Ryzen chips.

I just want my board back form RMA :(

You got it Johan, just like the 9590, these chips seem to love current. Once I get my board I'll be able to tie the VCC and VDD rails into a current monitor at work. There I'll have nice scope shots of current spikes and the like for our Ryzen chips.

I just want my board back form RMA :(

New BIOS seems OK still some quirks as I mentioned. Could have been the other BIOS but even BCLK and RAM adjustments were a lot easier this time. Didn't have one failure during boot. Started at 2400 strap and walked it up to get better subs

aida oc.JPG

Like I said, eventually the OEMs will get everything inline with memory. Just need patience.

Reading all of the input about the temperature vs OC and voltage not doing much in the sense of mitigating, leads me to believe that the Ryzen is a very hungry current caterpillar. Some of you have mentioned that you see your VRM FETs continue to heat up as time goes on, and no additional cooling seems to help prevent it. Sounds like thermal runaway due to high current draw. This can happen when the FET doesn't "close" or "open" all the way allowing for all the current to seep through. Slowly the channel in the gate will relax allowing for current leakage. Current continues to leek into the CPU and into the board, which will ultimately heat up the entire board.

Anyone have a thermal camera? I bet you will see your entire board around the socket slowly heat up while running tests. To say the least that this is normal is true, but with the right cooling a board should never become overheated. However, I believe something else is happening and it looks like you will need a higher amount of cooling to keep these systems happy.
Mackerel posted this earlier in the thread:

Thermal.jpg

Well there you have it. 75C after 5mins of stress. That's hot! I'm not surprised that some of the OC can only last for like 30mins under full load. Its not the CPU that is causing issues, its the mobo.

I'd say, keep those VRMs below 70C under 24/7 stress test, and you should see a bit more wiggle room. Really cool them, and you may get more but it will tapper off quickly.

I think the key to RyZen will be to keep the entire system as cold as possible rather than just the CPU like it has been in the past. Again no first hand experience just yet.

For those that are curious:

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AND8199-D.PDF

This paper by On Semi Conductors goes into a bit about what thermals looks like in terms of current output based on voltage input to the FET. Terms to be aware of:
ID = Current Drain from FET. This is the current that would be pushed into the CPU
Vgs = Voltage from Gate to Source. This is the voltage ratio difference between the FET gate to its Source. For MOSFETs you want the Voltage on the Drain Pin to be greater than the Vgs ratio to allow full saturation. When this number is too low, the FET will source lower amounts of current to the Drain pin. *NOTE* that the Vgs in the paper will be much much higher than what is on these mobos, this is just an example.

Last edited:
Well there you have it. 75C after 5mins of stress. That's hot! I'm not surprised that some of the OC can only last for like 30mins under full load. Its not the CPU that is causing issues, its the mobo.

I'd say, keep those VRMs below 70C under 24/7 stress test, and you should see a bit more wiggle room. Really cool them, and you may get more but it will tapper off quickly.

I think the key to RyZen will be to keep the entire system as cold as possible rather than just the CPU like it has been in the past. Again no first hand experience just yet.
That board is the one without vrm sinks. I think it was the Asus B350-m (matx). Might not be as big a deal on some of the other B350 boards that have a passive sink on their VRMs.

Edit: not saying you are wrong by any means, just that I don't think that is a fair specimen. I'd be surprised if 8 cores didn't stress the VRM section of a Mobo. :)

Back