• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll have to check more thoroughly. It looked like power use at idle was about the same. The numbers seemed closer than you'd expect unless voltage was still being reduced, but I could be wrong. I'll run a test with a kill-a-watt over a set period and see what differences there are.

You guys were right. When I looked into it in more detail my idle power use was higher. Not by an insane amount, but by maybe 10-15 watts. I could have sworn when I looked before that it was going down to the same levels, but I must have been mistaken. Hopefully Gigabyte will roll out P-state overclocking eventually.

On a side note, the bios situation has been improving. On my Gigabyte Gaming K7, I've managed to get my memory running at 3456 MHz. :)

Ryzen 3456 memory.jpg

On a bad note, my other motherboard, a Gigabyte Gaming 5, seems to have been defective. I've had two memory kits go bad after being used in the board (will no longer work on any machine). The odds of getting two bum kits seems pretty low, so...

You guys were right. When I looked into it in more detail my idle power use was higher. Not by an insane amount, but by maybe 10-15 watts. I could have sworn when I looked before that it was going down to the same levels, but I must have been mistaken. Hopefully Gigabyte will roll out P-state overclocking eventually.

On a side note, the bios situation has been improving. On my Gigabyte Gaming K7, I've managed to get my memory running at 3456 MHz. :)

View attachment 190303

On a bad note, my other motherboard, a Gigabyte Gaming 5, seems to have been defective. I've had two memory kits go bad after being used in the board (will no longer work on any machine). The odds of getting two bum kits seems pretty low, so...

What memory are you using and does XMP work with the memory? How do you like the Gigabyte Gaming K7?

What memory are you using and does XMP work with the memory? How do you like the Gigabyte Gaming K7?

I'm using G.skill Trident Z 3200 MHz, and also 3600 MHz (different kits). Setting XMP does seem to work now, although I set the timings manually. I'm pretty happy with the board. The earlier bios version I couldn't get the BCLK overclocking to work, but the most recent update (4/7) seems to have fixed that.

Anyone got a link to that Tweaktown article that is not hosted by Tweaktown? To hell with their add-block policy.

I really couldn't care less about AMD or Intel CPUs running on LN2 or benches run that way since the results are completely irrelevant. I am personally satisfied with the price/performance of my current Ryzen 5 1600 system though. IMO it is the sweet spot, especially if you have a Microcenter nearby and can get the $50 motherboard discount with the CPU purchase.

I agree. That the 1600 is the sweet spot if my PC died tonight it is what I would probably replace it with.

(It just won't die! I was feeding it 1.65 v on the weekend)

With the low OC overhead and the loss of P-states when overclocking IMO the 1600X is really the sweet spot. Although the lack of included cooler does skew the price point.

With the low OC overhead and the loss of P-states when overclocking IMO the 1600X is really the sweet spot. Although the lack of included cooler does skew the price point.
CPU low power c-states (CC1, CC6, and PC6) and software visible p-states (P1 and P2)
remain operational and may be requested by software so that power savings can be
achieved.

Pg. 13 number 3.

From the link. If you lose the ability to have P-states while overclocked, then it's a problem with the UEFI or Windows settings.

You do lose senseMI, but that just means you should actually run balanced in Windows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...LsxoGIMcInHVL3cug&sig2=79JAl6k6PkwinLgzLV5Hmg

Interesting. I do wonder how much power efficiency you loose with loosing senseMI. In that case performance/dollar Id definitely give it up to the 1600. I still plan on getting a 1600X though as the box I am putting it in I want no manual overclocking at all and XFR seems like it goes far enough to keep me happy.

People run P-states while overclocking? But... but ... but why?! :p

I know where you're going Shrimp but IF you want the increased speed and maintain any power cycling (best of both) in the system then there are only 2 ways that I know of to accomplish it. Use Ryzen Master or if your board supports it alter the P-states in BIOS. Once you change the multiplier manually all power savings etc are disabled by default and no way to re-activate them after overclocking is stabilized.

I'm looking for the cheapest X370 board with bclk option but somehow I can't find anything in reasonable price. Everything in my local stores cost almost $100 more than ASUS Prime X370. Price difference between US and EU is sometimes $100 like ASRock Taichi.
There are barely any differences between some boards but prices are much higher for models with bclk in BIOS. The cheapest board which I see is GB X370 Gaming K7 but it's still $80 more than I paid for ASUS Prime.
I'm looking for something as friend of my friend wants to build new PC and I can sell him some parts ... I just can't find any better board in good price.

This is true, but if your going to buy a crosshair you are not in it for performance/$.

To me the sweet spot for performance/$ is going to be an R5 1600 or 1600X and a b350 board. Lots of horsepower with a limited budget. If its a machine that will be on most of the time, but not under load often the power savings will add up quickly over time.

I know where you're going Shrimp but IF you want the increased speed and maintain any power cycling (best of both) in the system then there are only 2 ways that I know of to accomplish it. Use Ryzen Master or if your board supports it alter the P-states in BIOS. Once you change the multiplier manually all power savings etc are disabled by default and no way to re-activate them after overclocking is stabilized.

No thanks Johan. Gonna keep a solid clock under 1.2v @ 3.6ghz or 3.7ghz. Nice and steady brother.

And if power savings is what I was after, I wouldn't have built a gaming rig. My Big *** Gpu is the power draw culprit more so than anything.

No thanks Johan. Gonna keep a solid clock under 1.2v @ 3.6ghz or 3.7ghz. Nice and steady brother.

And if power savings is what I was after, I wouldn't have built a gaming rig. My Big *** Gpu is the power draw culprit more so than anything.

Why wouldn't you? I still run all the intel junk on my 6850K/5960X no reason to have it punched out to 4.5 all of life, but no reason it shouldn't clock up that high if needed. This isn't 2004 they work a bit better now.

Back