• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is a V12 engine always more powerful than a V8 engine?

Marketing is at play here. BlueFalcon has it correct. It is not always completely true that motherboard manufactures use cheaper parts to create power planes. The high ends at ASUS, Gigabyte and the rest can contend in price of a server power plane. But now that the crowed believes that more = better, why move from it? Furthermore, the technique of VRM hasn't changed, its just been tweaked to the nth degree as of late. We have smarter and faster chips due to lower feature size (transistor size). We are getting better performance per a phase with each generation. Early 2000s, we were still mastering all the things we have today in advanced home computers. So quality wasn't as good, so more did in fact help. But now, its all marketing and expectations.

24 shades phase of BS

Actually I was wondering if it is mathematical calculation for more stable power with certain amount of phases. I know it is faster more accurate switching since the went digital VRM.

Wait wait wait... are we allowed to read WCCFTech now ? are they a proper news thing or is this just a one-off ?

That LN2 article is all over with the same info. Besides this is the ZEN rumour thread

Yeah I don't necessarily read what Wccftech is posting, I just look at the images/videos they grab from other news agents. Wccftech is quick to re-post with their own horrible dialog. I just like the fact that the gather all the news and put it under their site. But their writers are garbage.

So after some mulling, I've decided my Ryzen build will be a budget mini ITX with a $125 or so X300 motherboard and a $200 or so 65W Ryzen 5 CPU. Still debating over 4C/8T vs. 6C/12T mostly based on heat output since I'll at least be doing a mild OC in a very tiny box. Add another $100 max for 16GB DDR4 RAM and I'm up to $450 with tax/shipping whatever. Since I already have a SilverStone mini ITX case and SFX PSU sitting idle, and would most likely add a $150 RX 480 as the GPU, the total out of pocket target is $600 max. The only problem is Ryzen 5 is not coming out now - anyone have any info on when they might be available? I would hope maybe June/July timeframe and not the fall. I'm not in any rush since I don't have any need to be the first to play with Ryzen, and I'm not interested in the $320 to $500 high-end Ryzen 7 8C/16T line.

OOHH look what I found if true this is effin awesome

amdo.jpeg

I am seriously contemplating returning to AMD if the $250 CPU performs better than Intel's current offerings and is significantly better than my current Haswell rig. I only hope the ROG equivalent 370 platform is not expensive as Intel's top shelf chipset offerings.

I really had doubts that they would be that cheap ...... but then this is all rumors and the truth will be revealed soon. The wait is almost over.

I really had doubts that they would be that cheap ...... but then this is all rumors and the truth will be revealed soon. The wait is almost over.

Two more weeks bud, then it hits the ground running.

Two more weeks bud, then it hits the ground running.
I will be waiting at Microcenter they day they get them in stock....Lets just hope they have a high end board to go with it in stock as well. :D

Back