• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not 100% sure if temp reading is correct just because soft like AIDA64 is showing 2 CPU temps, one CPU and other is Sensor. Some other soft is showing the same just under different names. Differences between these temps are 0-15*C depends on BIOS and motherboard. CPU temp = temp in AMD soft but again there is 20*C offset so I'm not sure if it's just +20*C or it somehow affects reading.
Black screen in my case = too low voltage. The same on ASUS and Gigabyte board. It happens after shorter or longer full load. When you raise cpu voltage then it will take more time to crash or issues will disappear. But then is another issue as higher voltage = higher temps so next reason why cpu can be unstable. Here fun starts from the beginning and at the end you won't be able to stabilize everything at ambient temps at much more than 4GHz ( in most cases it will be ~3.9GHz looking at users reports ).
I use HWinfo64. Pretty easy to see the different temps. CPU(tctl) is the Ryzen sensor, CPU under the Mobo is socket. I don't suffer from an offset, as I only have the 1700.

Screenshot_20170320-083156.png

so here you have also socket temp which doesn't fit to values of sensor temp in other soft, this is what I mean, just hard to say what is real

so here you have also socket temp which doesn't fit to values of sensor temp in other soft, this is what I mean, just hard to say what is real
That's true, but generally I trust the tctl value. ATM asked AMD about max temps. This was before they told everyone the X series has an offset. They said shutdown is @95C, but for stability OCing, keep it under 75C.

If I see in HWinfo a tctl over 75, it does the black screen crash I described above eventually. Everytime. Furthermore, ryzenmaster's temp reading matches HWinfo's.

That's true, but generally I trust the tctl value. ATM asked AMD about max temps. This was before they told everyone the X series has an offset. They said shutdown is @95C, but for stability OCing, keep it under 75C.

If I see in HWinfo a tctl over 75, it does the black screen crash I described above eventually. Everytime. Furthermore, ryzenmaster's temp reading matches HWinfo's.

But there are still erroneous readings. At least from what I see on the CHVI. When idle temps are below ambient on air you know something is wrong

15C? How bad is that wraith cooler??? Wow.

But there are still erroneous readings. At least from what I see on the CHVI. When idle temps are below ambient on air you know something is wrong
sensors are also notoriously inaccurate at idle anyway. The closer to tjmax, the more accurate they become supposedly.

It's a chunk of aluminum with a vapor chamber. It's sufficient to hit at most 3.7ghz from what I saw. It's really not bad for a factory cooler, but he 212 Evo is better.

Edit: in fairness, it's rated for 95W TDP, and if hwinfo64 is to be believed, I was using it to cool 105W TDP OC :)

Last edited:
So Microcenter is no longer giving the $30 off motherboard bundle discount for Ryzen CPUs. Kinda odd since the still are doing for AMD FX and A10 CPUs, and for Intel Skylake, Kaby Lake and LGA 2011 v3. Maybe the "bloom is already off the rose" with Ryzen.

BTW, the 1700 HS/Fan is a piece of junk. I took one look at it and put it back in the box.

So Microcenter is no longer giving the $30 off motherboard bundle discount for Ryzen CPUs. Kinda odd since the still are doing for AMD FX and A10 CPUs, and for Intel Skylake, Kaby Lake and LGA 2011 v3. Maybe the "bloom is already off the rose" with Ryzen.

BTW, the 1700 HS/Fan is a piece of junk. I took one look at it and put it back in the box.
It's really not TERRIBLE. Not like the old aluminum FX ones. I was waiting on my CM212 bracket. Worked for me until then, @3.7ghz on all 8 cores too.

Ok. 15C was a bit off as a guesstimate. With my ippc intake fans throttle to half speed, my highest temp for my 2hr p95 blend was 61.8C. So it's still more than 10C shaved off, but I was right near 75C with the wraith spire and that run had the ippc's unleashed.... They were running at their liftoff speed of 3000rpm :)

Thanks Johan45, another killer run with the Geekbench. Have you try a 1700 to see if it would run as well as 1700X. I'm waiting on a Motherboard ( Asrock Taichi , really Like VRM's and the added Base Clock).

Last edited:
15C? How bad is that wraith cooler??? Wow.

sensors are also notoriously inaccurate at idle anyway. The closer to tjmax, the more accurate they become supposedly.

It's not just idle and no wraith. Didn't get one with the CPUs. Still a NH-D15 is a decent cooler but 1.5v and 65°c just doesn't seem right. I'm also seeing about a 0.1v discrepancy. Not always in the same direction either. After swapping between 3 different CPUs I'm beginning to think the BIOS never fully clears itself. You may recall from a previous post some difficulty I was having with a 1700. Before it I was running a 1700x and the voltage was reading low in software. Swapped in the 1700 then flashed One BIOS version ahead to see if that would solve some of my issues. It didn't so I swapped back as 902 seemed more stable to me. Now when I pput the 1700x back in voltage is reading high in the same software/version. Same CPU and mobo BIOS. Now isn't that just a little bit off?
Thanks Johan45, another killer run with the Geekbench. Have you try a 1700 to see if it would run as well as 1700X. .
I have but the 1700 just runs out of gas a bit sooner. I could run the 1700x at 4.0 24/7 with ~ 1.42v a bit high but not bad. The same OC took 1.5v with the 1700. 3.9 on the other hand was more reasonable with 1.35v

It's not just idle and no wraith. Didn't get one with the CPUs. Still a NH-D15 is a decent cooler but 1.5v and 65°c just doesn't seem right. I'm also seeing about a 0.1v discrepancy.

I have about 85°C max under load on NH-D15 and CPU at ~1.43V. This includes that 20°C offset so real temp will be ~65°C.

It's a chunk of aluminum with a vapor chamber. It's sufficient to hit at most 3.7ghz from what I saw. It's really not bad for a factory cooler, but he 212 Evo is better.

Edit: in fairness, it's rated for 95W TDP, and if hwinfo64 is to be believed, I was using it to cool 105W TDP OC :)
The Evo 212 is a bang for your buck cooler. Not remotely the best. And 15C difference between ANY air cooler is a ton. They are typically only off up to several C when you read round up reviews. So, yeah.. its a dud if a $30 cooler beats it by 15C. Either that or your mount/TIM application was borked.

The Evo 212 is a bang for your buck cooler. Not remotely the best. And 15C difference between ANY air cooler is a ton. They are typically only off up to several C when you read round up reviews. So, yeah.. its a dud if a $30 cooler beats it by 15C. Either that or your mount/TIM application was borked.
Had a good spread pattern on the TIM, but it was the poo TIM that comes on the stock cooler. Overall, I'd say I just exceeded it's capacity to bleed off heat. I basically pushed that poor block of aluminum to the limit. Overall, for a stock cooler, a 700mhz OC on an 8-core isn't bad. It just wasn't designed to handle 8 cores at that speed 24/7.

Had a good spread pattern on the TIM, but it was the poo TIM that comes on the stock cooler. Overall, I'd say I just exceeded it's capacity to bleed off heat. I basically pushed that poor block of aluminum to the limit. Overall, for a stock cooler, a 700mhz OC on an 8-core isn't bad. It just wasn't designed to handle 8 cores at that speed 24/7.

You may have won the silicon Lottery!!!!!!

Ok, I'm offfff to do taxes.

Back