• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was just like overclocking on ambient only the wall came later. Cruised right up to 5.0 with 1.6v the next 200 MHz were a different story all together. 5060 MHz I was aready at 1.7v

Aren't AMD chips supposed to be voltage sponges though? Or was it only FX that could safely take 1.6 volts?

Aren't AMD chips supposed to be voltage sponges though? Or was it only FX that could safely take 1.6 volts?

Very temperature dependant. On my FX with my cold loop I could get stupid high voltage to keep scaling. With this 1700x and same loop ~ 1.5ish is where it stops helping. Any real work just crashes even up to 1.6v. Once I froze it that wall just moved up about 900MHz but acted the same way.

cdawall, I know not what you speak of, but tread careful of the evil that you speak of.

Nope from what I understand AMD did it to try and force higher fan speeds which would in turn force the chip to boost higher.

The funny thing is that Gigabyte seems to have caught on to the adjusted sensor (not that it's exactly a secret) and it automatically adjusts for it. So, fans end up running no faster than they otherwise would (and it's nice not having to make a 20C adjustment to my fan curves).

I really don't know what AMD was thinking with this offset. Just seems like a really stupid idea. If someone is running with inadequate cooling/too low fan speed to boost properly then that's basically their problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one who thinks this is huge? This opens the door for a lot more people to throw their chip against the wall until it squeals without the investment in Big Water.

Well, the other part about that is "squealing" is only about 100 MHz. Part of the reason cooling isn't that important is that there's little to no OC headroom to begin with.

I don't usually like OC software but I think they did a decent job with RM. I'm just getting into it as far as testing but one cool thing about it is it keeps the power cycling. No need to fuss with P-states and voltage in BIOS. I'll know more in a few hours but so far it's actually pretty cool.

If it's true, lo and behold it doesn't clock better than Ryzen 7. Not upset at all, I made the right call if that is the case.

I think the overall high end wall probably exists around 4.0-4.1 GHz. However, four (and to a lesser extent six) core chips may get marginally higher clocks just based on there being less chance of being held back by one core which serves as the weakest link.

I don't usually like OC software but I think they did a decent job with RM. I'm just getting into it as far as testing but one cool thing about it is it keeps the power cycling. No need to fuss with P-states and voltage in BIOS. I'll know more in a few hours but so far it's actually pretty cool.

Yeah, I think it works pretty well for that. The biggest problem is there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to automatically apply an overclock on start. At least I haven't stumbled on a way to do it yet.

Back