• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Really I wasn't expecting more cores so soon. AMD said that they are not planning more than 8 cores and now we see some info about new chipset and sockets. Really I'm not happy seeing that when I just paid for 8 core+X370 board.

I'd expect it to cost far more than R7 if it happens, as it would finally take on Intel HEDT range head on.

Some of the numbers makes sense based on what we know about the architecture, with 12 cores quad channel being delivered by 4 CCX each with 3 cores active. Dunno if the 8x 8MB L3 cache is a typo, mis-detection or real though, as that would run double current.

This could be the Naples server CPU. There's noting from AMD officially from what I see

Hope to see some proper testing on that with our AMD chips since we couldn't in our initial reviews.. (thanks AMD for not getting them samples in a timely manner.)

Same here. Release a higher clocked 8/16 with quad channel and I'll look into it.

I was thinking more about the typo regarding a 16 core, but only 8 thread cpu...but I do agree that a higher clocked CPU with Quad channel would be tasty

Naples doesn't support quad channel, so there will be none anytime soon. But compared to Intel's Skylake server class, the Napels has a higher bandwidth and RAM storage capacity on paper.

To my understanding Naples offers 32 cores, which is 8 CCX. Zen is currently understood to support one memory channel per CCX. A hypothetical 12 or 16 core CPU would likely have 4 CCX thus quad channel support. If AM4 was never built with this support, then they'll have to do the Intel thing and base it on a server socket that can.

That is not the case. I got to see some docs. I'll tell you guys now, that Quad-Channel does not exist. Its all dual channel dims just like Intel Skylynx. It just a higher capcity for additional DIMMs

That is not the case. I got to see some docs. I'll tell you guys now, that Quad-Channel does not exist. Its all dual channel dims just like Intel Skylynx. It just a higher capcity for additional DIMMs

Correct it works the exact same way as BD/PD based stuff did. It claims quad channel, but is just dual dual channel controllers.

I will be surprised if AMD marketing claims Quad Channel. Its pretty explicit even in their early docs.

Maybe it is the wording but I don't understand the claim here.

Skylake (and 115x in general) is dual channel, each channel can take 2 modules, for 4 modules but still 2 channels. Current Ryzen on AM4 looks like it does same, but from what I've seen, each CCX has one memory channel supporting two modules. R7, 2 CCX, 2 channels. Naples, 32 cores = 8 CCX = 8 channels.

A hypothetical 12 or 16 core Zen CPU will have 4 CCX, thus it could have 4 of single channel memory controllers. If it goes to AM4 and does not support that, they would have to limit it, or go to some new socket. I think AMD have said they were going to standardise on AM4 for consumer stuff, but I don't think that necessarily shuts the door on another socket if they, for example, market towards workstation or low end server usage without necessarily going to 2 sockets.

I will be surprised if AMD marketing claims Quad Channel. Its pretty explicit even in their early docs.

AMD marketing claimed that the 6100/6200/6300 series were all quad channel and they are not.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/server/opteron/6000/6300

Even CPUz tags them as a dual channel setup.

4000cinebench.png

(my rig)

So far with 64 gigs of ram i have gotten to 4.1 at 1.4125 with 2666 speed not to bad for the start. temps hit 70 max

4.2 would not boot into windows even at 1.5 so i just stopped at that point.

It almost makes XFR the way to go because it auto clocks cores to 4.1 anyways on my system, and then keeps temps down

Last edited:
I think they say quad channel as it can be 2x dual channel split for 2 cpu modules ... naples looks like 2 or 4x current ryzen chips. I mean if they use it on server platform then it probably can address more memory split to more memory banks and can have more connections like to boost performance in more ranks. I just feel like desktop 16 cores will be the same as naples without additional connection for multi-cpu support. About what Intel was doing in some series.
I can be wrong here. I didn't read full specs docs.

Back